Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Car Seat Canopy

My friend Adri has made these car seat canopies, and I think they are super clever. Instead of just throwing a blanket over your carseat, and then being disappointed when it doesn't stay in place, this pattern is designed to strap to your handles, keeping the cover in place.

I especially love it because it keeps snoopy women from getting too close to your baby. You know what I mean. You are in the store, and some strange person comes up and starts touching all over your baby. These canopies imply "Keep your hands off!" without actually having to say it.

When you want to see your baby, you simply flip the cover over the bar. Simplicity.


A few months ago, I asked Adri for instructions on how to make these. I believe she said something like: "Use about a yard of fabric, round the corners, two straps with a decorative button...I'm sure you'll do great!" So, I figured it out, and I think it's super fun. I'm already coming up with ideas on how to embellish them more. What do you think?
**Edited to add: I made a tutorial for this. Go HERE to see it.**

18 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

Super cute, great job!

courtney said...

When you and Sharon are together, come up with a pattern, because that is a sewing project I actually want to do, it is a great gift just like the booties! I bet people would love them as gifts!!

purejoy said...

i love this. i first saw one similar on the thrify chick's blog http://thethriftychick.blogspot.com/.
it was there i discovered that she had a stroke and died just weeks before. she has some really good ideas and they've kept her blog up since her passing.
not to get all maudlin on you, but she does have some good ideas.
i love the idea of initials for the baby, or a symbol. or even devising a little flap with velcro that you could peek in or leave open.
you did such a good job, even without a pattern. bravo!!

Mags said...

Agreed, a pattern would be awesome. That is a great gift idea to make for others.

Jen Sue Wild said...

Very usefull!! I Like it!!

BrittanyLane said...

What a super idea! I'll have to make one after I find out what I'm having. I love it!

Colleen said...

Why am I surrounded by such crafty women?!! You make me jealous! It looks great, more than great, as always, crafty chick!

Megan said...

You're so clever!! And I so know what you're talking about with snoopy women :)

DougandSheilah said...

Love it. If you could type up some more explicite directions so I could try I would love it. Thanks

Me and My Girls said...

I love it, I have a friend who has one that it a cover and then she does some sweet trick and its a nursing cover. I like the color of it as well. super cute.

4everYoung said...

Hey now this cover will match your car seat!

Karen and Matt said...

That is awesome! Great job on doing it without a pattern! Super cute idea! I always hated the blanket blowing off, such a pain in the butt to deal with.

Jeff and Lori said...

Love it!! That's a great idea, and you did an awesome job on it. I'm looking at the pictures to try to figure it out, but I might have to see it in real life...

Elise said...

Perfect solution!!! Especially for a newborn and during the winter when you don't want all the sick people touching your baby. Wish it was around when my two were babies.

runningfan said...

Very cute! My only beef with mine is that the cover gets in the way when I move the handle back when the car seat is in the car. It's annoying to replace it every time...so I never use it. I hope you are more successful than I!

dippyrooroo said...

I'm making one! I love it! Especially because for some odd reason, the shade on my car seat won't stay up! It always falls all the way to the bottom side of the carrier, and it's a huge pain! When I make mine, I'll design it so that I can totally take my shade off!

Stacey said...

Great idea and you are so talented!!!

mrsapplejuice said...

I stumbled onto your blog after searching the web for a pattern for one of these adorable carseat canopies. Your turned out SO cute! Please, please, PLEASE post a pattern or any other details on how to sew one. Thanks!!