Sunday, September 20, 2009

Girl's Night Games

I can't believe I didn't take one picture at the Girl's Night I had on Friday! Guess I was having too much fun! I think we had 27 ladies who came over to enjoy socializing, playing games, and eating food. Seemed like a good time for everyone.

Even though I didn't take pictures, and I don't have any evidence left over from the games we played, I'll try to give you some highlights.

First off, imagine the food. If there is one thing people are good at, it's providing a variety of super yummy munchies. We had brownies, cookies, doughnuts, pixie sticks, popcorn, chocolate, chips, salsas, dips, crackers, cheeses, and even more that I can't remember right now.

The first game we played was called "The Name Game". Original, I know. It's a great way to get to know everyone's names right off the bat. One person stands in the middle and everyone else is sitting in a circle around that person. Once everyone's names are identified, one person in the circle starts by saying the name of someone in the group. That person has to respond by saying someone else's name before the person in the middle whacks them on the knee with the rolled up magazine they are holding. The goal is for the person in the middle to take the place of someone sitting in the circle. Sounds easy enough, but when people are saying each other's names faster than you can locate them sitting in the circle, you tend to get a bit turned around and might even find yourself whacking the wrong person. Or if you are sitting in the circle, you might be so stunned that your name is called, that you can't think of someone else's name fast enough before the threat of the rolled up magazine becomes a reality.

Of course, you could find yourself in the circle like Colleen, who is a few weeks away from giving birth to her 5th boy. She lasted about 12 seconds, trying to find the faces that belonged to the names. As valiant as her efforts were, it was evident she looked more like a 3 year old doing the potty dance, trying desperately to finish out her turn before she could excuse herself to go to the bathroom. We were all laughing so hard. We excused her immediately, and she ran to the bathroom. I think she made it in time.

Another game we played is a twist on charades. In this game, four people leave the room while the rest of the group decides on a person, a place, and a thing. They do not have to be related to each other. Person #1 comes back in the room and we tell them the three things. An example could be Elvis Presley (person) High School (place) and plunger (thing). Then we bring out person #2, who watches as person #1 acts out the three things. Without person #2 voicing what they think the three things are, we bring out person #3, who watches as person #2 acts out what they think the three things are, without doing the exact same actions that they saw person #1 doing. Then the same is done with person #4. In the end, you usually end up with completely different things being acted out. It is a very hilarious game. One of my favorites....especially when you see the Relief Society President trying to act out "Madonna". Just hilarious.

We also played "Telephone Pictionary", which I've described before. It's a game that always gets me laughing so hard. On one paper, we went from canning pears, to having triplets with their own stinky diaper pails. It's amazing how quickly a drawing can change everything. We also played "This is a Spoon", which seems easy and obvious, but proves to be a disaster waiting to happen. I had a handful of other games too, but we never go around to them. Besides all the games we played, we talked and socialized with each other and laughed and ate and ate some more. The party went until 1am.

I really wanted to have this time to enjoy being with all my friends. After the baby is born, I'll have to be a hermit for a while, until the baby's immune system is strong enough for us to be out in public again. I'll sure miss being social with everyone. Anyway, I had such a great time having everyone over at my house. Friends really do make life good.

9 comments:

Shavonne said...

Man, I sure wished we lived near each other...

runningfan said...

What a fun night! Thanks for getting us all together!

Colleen said...

She did make it, but with seconds to spare! Next time, you've got to have those panty liners you promised! If you didn't get my other 5 "It was an awesome night, thanks Shaina's" here's one more...It was an awesome night! Thanks Shaina!

Julz said...

That was a lot of fun. Now I'm trying to get the nerve up to do one at my house.

Jeff and Lori said...

Fun, fun, fun! Thanks for a lot of laughs and a great night, Shaina!

Trinette McCrary said...

Thanks for the fun!

Adri said...

It was FAB. Of course! Thanks, Shaina!

Mags said...

I was completely laughing at your description of Colleen. I agree with Shavonne though, wish I lived closer. Those nights sound like a lot of fun.

Heidi said...

The Name Game was actually very effective! :) I remember about 10 names from the night...and having never met anyone, I'd say it was a succesful game! :)

It was tons of fun, Shaina! Thanks again for inviting me! :)