Thursday, October 8, 2009

34 Weeks and a Baby Shower!

My friends threw me the most delightful baby shower last night. I brought my camera to get a picture of everyone, but didn't ever get around to it. However, over 20 women came to celebrate this baby boy joining our family.

Before I started opening gifts, I wanted everyone to know how grateful I was to them, not just for coming to the shower, but for all the love, support, prayers, encouragement, and service that they have shown me, and will show me over the next few months. Upon thinking about what I would say, I knew it would be hard to get through, but when I started crying even before I started speaking...well, it was very difficult for me to get through. These women have become my family. My home. I need them. I am not usually an emotional person, and I try my hardest not to break down in front of anyone, even the husband. Anyway, I seriously wanted to run and hide, with everyone watching me struggle with what I wanted to say, but I hope they understood that I am very very grateful for everything.

My friend Paula made the most amazing little bear cake for the shower. Since she made tons of cupcakes too, I got to bring the bear cake home with me. I cut off a slice of his foot to sample this morning, and it is a very yummy pound cake with buttercream icing. She did a great job. Another friend, Trinette, helped plan and organize the shower for me. I was overwhelmed with love. Thank you girls!


It took quite a while to get through all the gifts. Everyone was so generous. Today I get to go through all the stuff, tear off tags, prewash clothing and blankets, and find a home for all the wonderful items. I took a picture of everything grouped together. It's hard to see all the individual items, but there is A LOT there. Thank you everyone!! All of it is MUCH needed!


Today, I had my 34 week checkup with my OB. He was sad to tell me that my complete care is now in the hands of all the Denver team of Doctors. He was originally going to keep seeing me for these last few weeks, and simply report everything to Denver so that I didn't have to travel up there every week, but the Doctors up there want to examine me themselves, and make their own decisions based on their care. So even though I made a tentative appointment to see my OB again in about 10 days, we both are pretty confident that the appointment will be canceled and I'll be up in Denver. I'm sad about that. Not only do I love my OB, but it's somewhat annoying to travel an hour and a half (one way) for a 20 minute appointment and examination. Luckily, it's only for a few weeks, then we'll have a baby.

My OB was also concerned that I haven't been very emotional with him. He wanted to make sure I wasn't keeping everything bottled up. I assured him, especially after my breakdown last night, that I do have moments where my emotions overcome me, but for the most part, I keep things to myself. Just the way I am. It makes me an ideal patient when I'm in labor, because I'm as quiet as a mouse. Anyway, he wanted to make sure I am handling things alright. Very perceptive of him, I must say.

I am also measuring a little small, at 32 instead of 34, but that's not something he's worried about. I always present small, but with the assurance of the ultrasound last week, in determining the baby's weight, we are doing just fine. I even asked if I could refuse to be weighed in. I was told "that's not an option". Oh well. I think I'm just not going to look at the scale anymore.

Tomorrow I begin my first round of appointments in Denver. I have an appointment with the Cardiology team, another Fetal Echo Sonogram (a very specific look at the heart, through ultrasound) and also a tour of the Cardiac ICU, NICU, and all the facilities I will be using in the Children's Hospital. Next week I will meet with everyone at the University Hospital, across the street, where I will be delivering the baby. I will have another ultrasound, this time just for anatomy, and meet the OB staff to talk about my birth plan, and to get a tour of that hospital. Should be fun!

14 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

I'm so thrilled you enjoyed your shower. We love you and our praying for the weeks to come. Thanks for sharing your feelings at the shower, it was a wonderful spiritual experience.

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful spiritual experience. Glad to know that you enjoyed your shower as I enjoyed your blog. Ihampers.co.uk

runningfan said...

Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear what you learn.

Maynards said...

Dr. Weary Rocks! I saw him today too, and I will be seeing him again in 10 days as well.
I was so so so sad to miss your shower. It made for an even more miserable night than it already was. I wish I could have been there to hear you speak your feelings. I am sure it was so touching. It seriously stunk to not be there.
I do have something for you though.
Good luck with your future appointments in Denver. When I get over this horrible crud, let me know what I can do to help.

Jenni said...

How fun! So glad you have such great friends there to lean on--so important!! Enjoy your loot!!

Jennifer Grimes said...

I came on here to show my kids a picture of that cute cake which I was sure you posted and you made me cry again! I couldn't even read it to them. :) Good luck in Denver, I think it's a great thing they want to be really aware of YOUR baby as an individual so they can give him the best care!

Jen Sue Wild said...

I am so glad you have loveing friends who can take care of your needs and support you.. It makes the journey that much easier. I wish I could be there with you like you were for me 4 years go. But know that I am thinking of you and that I love you very much..

Me and My Girls said...

Dang, you got a ton of stuff. I love that! Its always nice to have some new things for a baby, and for you. It will be fun to get the big tour of the hospital, is heath going with you? Dive safe and get some travle CD mixes made for your weekly trips, and sing out LOUD in the car.

courtney said...

I'm glad you got a rockin shower! And that you have such awesome friends there! Traveling that much is going to be hard, my sis-in-law still travels to SLC every month for each of her girls with their Diabetes and Heart/brain check ups, so at least it is only an hour and a half drive and not a four hour drive.

love you and I really look up to you!

Adri said...

So sad I had to miss the shower. But, I'm glad you had fun. And, it looks like your little guy has many new, fun things!

kendra said...

Good luck these next weeks. We are praying for you.

LollyChops said...

It looks like such a nice time (even with the tears). We are all here for you Shaina!

That cake is just the cutest thing ever. Have an arm for me or something! I do so love butter cream frosting!

Colleen said...

You are loved! And the shower was amazing. I wish I could take some of Tommy's big and give it to baby boy K's little...I am getting nervous about how large he is measuring and how delivering that is going to be! I am anxious to hear the news from Denver.

annie said...

i love your deserts! so cute! can you eat that bear?

i also love that you had another baby shower even though you have a few kids already. I think that's how it should be :) hope your baby's doing well!