Saturday, October 31, 2009

Birth Story: Keaton Taylor

When Kamy was 9 months old, we got pregnant with Keaton. When we found out we were having a baby brother, we looked through the baby name book again. This time, we were finding names that were odd, and laughing about why people would name their babies names like Thor and Wainer. While going back and forth, trying to find all the terrible names, one of us yelled out "Keaton". We both stopped, looked at each other, and said "Hey, we like that name". So we decided to name our baby Keaton. At that point, we weren't trying to go for all "K" names. That part came later. We just honestly thought Keaton was a cool name. His middle name, Taylor, is a family name on Heath's side of the family.


Due to my extremely quick labor with my first baby, my doctor (and myself) were very concerned that I might not make it to the hospital in time to deliver this baby. So during my 38th week, my doctor brought me in on a planned day, so I could labor safely in the hospital. On September 27th, a Thursday afternoon, he broke my water. I was already 4-5 cm dilated, so it didn't take me long to get things started. Just by breaking my water, my contractions started. A few hours later, my doctor came to check on me, and noticed that the baby's hand was coming through first, just before his head. So during a contraction (because the cervix stretches during contractions), he pushed Keaton's head back up inside, pushed the hand out of the way, and let the head come back down. THIS. WAS. MURDEROUS! I did not have an epidural. It hurt so bad!


Well, that wasn't the end of that. Two more times the doctor had to push Keaton's hand back up inside me to allow the head to present first. After the third time, with tears streaming down my face, I told him I didn't care if the hand was delivered first, there was no way he was doing that to me again!! A few minutes later, Keaton was born, and he did indeed have his hand right up by his forehead as he was being delivered.


Just three hours after my water was broken, without a hint of labor beforehand, Keaton Taylor was born. He weighed 6 lbs 7 oz, if I remember correctly, and had some cute hair that was a bit curly. He was born with eyebrows too, which was odd. He was so darn cute.



Here are some pictures of his blessing day, barely two weeks after he was born.




This next picture, he is about 6 weeks old. Sorry for the scratched up picture, but you can still see how cute the kids were.

If I had to envision how this next baby will look, based on the ultrasounds, I think he will look like Keaton does in this picture, with big chubby cheeks and cute fuzzy hair. I guess we will see soon!

4 comments:

runningfan said...

And I thought my labors were fast -- you go girl!

Colleen said...

It really makes not having an epidual "easier" so-to-speak :) when you have such fast labors. Really, that's a blessing! Although the part with the hand sounds TERRIBLE! That's one of the reasons why I kept thinking what a blessing it was that I ended up with one before all the trouble with Tommy started. Having the nurse hold him there would have been horrible. The photo of Keaton and Kami is so cute, and you can totally see their today faces in those baby faces! I love the baby eyebrows, none of mine have ever had them either, which I had never really thought about until you said that!

Maynards said...

I am loving the pictures. I can't get used to you with long hair!
Fat cheeks and fuzzy hair make for an adorable baby.

BrittanyLane said...

Kami totally looks like Jayne in that third picture from the bottom. Crazy!