Wednesday, October 21, 2009

One Year Ago...

Exactly one year ago today we moved to Colorado. After packing up the house in S.C. (which we only had lived there for 8 months), cleaning it, and driving 3 days across country, we unloaded everything into this house that Heath had rented for us. The house was really dirty and old-feeling, especially after having just left the relatively new house that we had lived in, and how long I had spent cleaning every nook and cranny of it, it seemed so terrible to me. (As a sided note, Heath came here 2 weeks before the kids and I did, because he needed to start work before we could move. So I was left with the kids to clean, pack, and move. It was hard.) I remember my sister calling a few hours after we got here, and she asked how I liked the house. I believe I sat down and cried.

However, I had good reason. I was very sick. I had pneumonia, bronchitis, and laryngitis. All at once. It was horrible. Not only were those three things bad enough, but I needed to help unload our moving truck, and the day after we got here, Heath had to go back to work. So I was on my deathbed with four kids to watch, a house to move into, school to register for, food to buy, and I knew absolutely NOBODY. Plus, with my voice completely gone, I couldn't just go out and do stuff, or get stuff done over the phone. I was at my end.

I remember trying to hang up some clothes. I honestly didn't even have the energy to pick up a hanger and put it on the rod in the closet. I have never been so sick in my life.

Anyway, a few weeks after that, and a huge dose of medication from the Urgent Care Center, I was doing better. I started meeting people at church. I pleaded for friends. They accommodated me. Now, a year later, I am completely encircled about by so many loving friends who have become my family here.

It's been a very good year. It was a move we needed to make, and it was a good decision. We love being in Colorado, and feel this is the place we need to be. Even though the first few weeks were hard for me here, it turned out to be the best thing for our family.

(Keep up the book recommendations! I'm researching every suggestion and making a list!)

7 comments:

Vix said...

Moving to a new place is so hard! We moved to Croydon from Cheltenham (UK) nearly 5 years ago and still have only really made one friend in the town. Most of my friends are an hours drive away (hurrah for t'interweb!). We are planning moving closer to our best friends in the next couple of years. I am envious of the community you get with the church etc. I am too shy to really get to know the other Mummy's at the school gates.

I am glad you have such a fab circle of friends near by and a good year.

Heath said...

I am sorry it was so hard on you Babes it was a very tough time for us. Driving across from SC once by myself and twice with the moving truck sucked. But I really felt like we needed to get out of there and I am glad we did.

Shonni said...

We live in Colorado Springs....where do you live?

annie said...

:) thats a sad story! we have lived in three states our first year of marriage.

Maynards said...

Dang, that sounds so rough. You came to the right place for friends though!
I truly believe that we were sent here, because of the circle of friends we would be surrounded by during times of greatest need, that were yet to come.
It is a wonderful place to live.
I am so glad you are here.

LollyChops said...

I remember when you guys moved and how terribly sick you were! I am so glad that you have settled in there now.

kendra said...

You are in a great place - we loved it there too (and really really miss it). I'm so so glad you have so many great friends to help you with babysitting and everything else you are going through.