Monday, November 2, 2009

Birth Story: Kennedy Lane (Georgie)

This picture was taken about 4 days before I had Georgie. Of course, we didn't call her Georgie then. That nickname came later. We were having another girl and I was dying to use the name Kennedy. It seemed so perfect. I couldn't wait to have another girl! We were in the Air Force at this time, stationed in California.

Really early in the morning, 10 days before my due date, I started having some contractions. This was unusual for me, since I've never had contractions until I was in transition. Just the way my body does things. It likes to be like a speeding bullet, instead of a meandering train ride through the country, when I'm in labor. It's fast and efficient and doesn't mess around. Anyway, I was having contractions for about 30-45 minutes when I told Heath that this was unusual, and that I'd better get to the hospital.

So we had our neighbor come over to be with the kids while they were sleeping, and we went to the hospital. My doctor, who was also a friend from church, was on call that night, and when he checked me, I was 5 cm dilated. He said "We'll keep ya. Let's have a baby!" Yay!


Once again, I decided to give an epidural a try. Even though I had tried to have one before, it hadn't worked out, and all three of my previous children were born with a "natural" delivery. So I got the epidural, but at that point, my contractions had stopped. I sat around for a few hours, waiting for the labor to start again.

Finally it did, and I knew it because I could feel every contraction. This didn't bother me, or maybe it didn't occur to me, that I should be numb from the epidural. Then I tried to move around my position, to make the contractions more manageable, and that's when I noticed that my right leg was completely dead, from the thigh down. I couldn't move it at all. When I had gotten the epidural, I remember the nerve getting tweaked, and feeling it rush down and spasm my right leg. Well, it must have tweaked the nerve, because my leg was totally dead. However, nothing else was numb.

At this point, Heath heard me huffing pretty strong, so he went and got the nurse. They checked me and announced that I was completely dilated. They paged my doctor, who arrived a few minutes later, and once again, after a minute or two, we had a baby. My stupid leg was useless. The epidural didn't work, and I had another natural labor.


Kennedy Lane was born December 8th and weighed 5 lbs 11 oz. She was tiny and perfect and looked like Kolby. This next picture is supposed to be at the bottom of the post, but I cannot get it to move down!!




Kennedy was born 10 days before her due date, just like my boys were. Crazy how consistent my body is. Also, if you don't count the hours that my contractions stopped after I got to the hospital, this labor lasted 3 hours as well.

At this point, I've decided that although epidurals are great for some people, it just doesn't seem to work out for me. I just plan on having another "natural" delivery with baby number 5. Can ya blame me?


We had a lot of fun finding pink clothes again.




The kids really liked their baby sister.

I really enjoyed having a sweet Christmas bundle to love and cuddle during the holiday season.



It wasn't until just after Christmas, that we started calling her George. She was so curious and wouldn't stop looking around at everything, which made breastfeeding very frustrating because she would hear a noise and turn her head to try to find out where the action was. So curious!! Plus, she kind of looked like a monkey sometimes, so it was an easy nickname to fall into.

4 comments:

LollyChops said...

I have loved reading all of these stories!

I hope everything goes well this week. I am glad your friend is there with you!

HUGS!

P.S. I love your little cookbook! It's so sweet!

Colleen said...

So sweet! With Ben the epidural killed my contractions too. But if I had a body that worked through labor like yours I'd do the natural thing this time around too! I am thinking of you constantly!

melissahurst99 said...

Natural is the way to go anyways Shaina!! My first I had an epidural, it worked, but I had major side effects from it for about 2 months afterwards. The last 3 I didn't natural with 1 1/2 hour labors and felt good as new right after I had had them!! Good for you!!

Dan and Katie said...

I love that picture of her in your hand, so cute! I love reading your stories...I hope my labor goes that fast!!!