Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Daddy

Since Mr. Kimble was born, Heath hasn't wanted to leave his side. He went with Kimble to the NICU, right after he was born. He took pictures, he asked questions, he absorbed everything about what was happening. It was really touching for me to see how much he loved his baby. Not that he wasn't attached to our other babies, but in the past, our babies were more my focus, than Heath's. Sure he held them, and kissed them, and loved them, but for the most part, the babies are mine until they are a bit more "rough and tumble".

However, Heath wants to be with Kimble as much as possible. He comes up to the hospital very often, to be with us. We are so happy that he was given so much donated vacation time so that he doesn't have to go into work. Also, because my mom is with the kids, he is free to come to the hospital as often as he wants to. That has been great, since Kimble has had so many ups and downs these past few weeks. It's been so great having Heath here to comfort and support us.

Last weekend, Heath found something that he can do for baby that I can't. Their blood-types match, so Heath was able to donate blood for Kimble, in anticipation of a blood transfusion that our doctors want us to be prepared for. Heath very proudly loaded up on electrolytes and ate good food, so he could give his best to his son.

Sometimes, just being here next to baby, and enjoying an afternoon nap together, is just what they both need.

Since I have always breastfed, bottle-feeding our babies was never an option available to him. Heath got the chance to feed Kimble a few times, and it certainly is endearing to watch them.

Did I mention how difficult it is for him to go back home? As much as he loves and misses our other kids, he really has a tough time walking away from the hospital and driving back home. I am lucky to have this man in my life. He is such a great daddy.

9 comments:

Shonni said...

such precious pictures!

Maynards said...

I am so glad Heath can share in these special moments. Those are great pictures. We have thought a lot about him as well, and what this must be like for him. It is not easy for either of you.

Colleen said...

I am sorry taking Kimble off the medicine didn't work. Fortunately there are other options for him! And I hope the infection has cleared. I think it's wonderful that Heath gets to be with Kimble (and you!) so much! He sure is a fantastic daddy, and talking to you guys, Heath obviously has absorbed every detail about Kimble's condition he can. He was a fountain of information!

runningfan said...

Aw...good daddy!

Last night when I took Keaton to and from scouts, he told me all about Kimble's procedures. It was cute when he talked about Kimble's heart "beeping."

Queen of Chaos said...

Awesome daddy! It's so great mom is there to help and Heath can come and go as needed. What a blessing.

Love all the pictures. :)

Trinette McCrary said...

Sweet post. Life will never be the same for your sweet family, but I don't mean that in a negative light. Take care and please let me know if anything is needed. It is hard on this end sometimes not knowing what could be helpful.

Sara said...

These pictures more than any others made me teary. Something about a big guy holding a tiny baby, especially one that is sick just makes me cry. Heath is a good man, a great dad and such a wonderful husband.

courtney said...

That is super sweet! It's true that at first daddy's don't get much time with the baby to bond. It is cool that Heath has that chance!

Nancy W said...

How precious, and thank goodness I had a box of tissues at my desk because all this love made me get all teary ;) Thanks for sharing and boy that little man of yours is so beautiful!