Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Few Quiet Days

Kimble and I are continuing to have nice quiet days. His saturation levels have remained high and he is having a few minutes of "awake" time now. He is continuing to take my breastmilk in a bottle. He still sleeps more than a typical newborn, but that is just fine. He is doing great.

I can hold him pretty much whenever I want to...and I do. Due to all his cords, medicines, and whatnot, I have to stay completely stationary next to his bed. He is always a tangle of cords, but I'm so glad I can hold him. He and I both do better when we are touching.

When he is in his bed, he has his little monkey friend to keep him company. His monkey likes to wear his hat when it's not in use. The monkey also holds a little sound recorder, that the kids pre-recorded songs and messages to their baby brother. As discovered through all the ultrasounds, Kimble loves to have his right hand up by his mouth. He rarely puts his hand anywhere else.

He is also surrounded in a colorful environment, with this sweet blanket my friend Sara made for him. She made it a small size, specifically for his little NICU bed, and it's just perfect.

Bright and early this morning, Kimble had another chest X-ray. This was my view, from the little foldout bed I was sleeping on. Can you find Kimble? He's totally hidden by machinery.
Heath managed to snap a picture just when Kimble was making an adorable face. So precious!

Heath came up last night and stayed the night. He loves being with his baby. Oh, and he loves seeing me too!
Tomorrow Kimble will undergo a special procedure in the Cath Lab, to essentially pop through his pulmonary valve (which is not currently a valve, but by using a type of balloon, they will pop it open) and hopefully that will get some blood flow into the pulmonary artery, as well as his right ventricle, and from there, we wait and see how his body will react. The doctors are hoping it will stimulate growth in his ventricle, and possibly start having his heart behave like a normal heart. Well, have the possibility to, anyway. So tomorrow will be a big day for us. Your prayers are not only appreciated, but are felt so strongly. Thank you.

14 comments:

Jenni said...

He looks like such a good baby...it often amazes me that NICU babies are so good with all they go through. That picture of Kimble smirking is darling...just perfection! You're in our prayers! GOod luck tomorrow!

Burns Family said...

What a beautiful baby!! It is wonderful that you are getting to hold him so much, and that he gets so much stimulation from voices and colors. You are such a loving Mommy,Shaina-Kimble has to find strength from that!! We will say an extra prayer for you all tomorrow. Hope the procedure does what you are hoping!

Monti said...

Shaina, Kimble is just so adorable. You have been the best medicine for him through all this. He can feel your love and strength and he is able to draw upon that to help him through this time. Our prayers go out to you, him and you precious family. Bless you!!

Jeff and Lori said...

We'll be praying for the procedure tomorrow to go well! Kimble makes my heart just melt, he is so beautiful. What a lucky baby to have a mommy like you!

Shonni said...

He is so beautiful. We are praying for you all!

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

He's beautiful, Shaina! I'm glad things are going well!

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

He's beautiful, Shaina! I'm glad things are going well!

Dan and Katie said...

So cute, again thanks for blogging, Dan and I love getting the updates. Good Luck tomorrow, we will send an extra strong prayer your way :)

Jennifer Magreevy said...

I've come to your blog via Leah Killian's blog, and just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of baby Kimble and praying for him and your family. He is absolutely precious, and I look each day to read the good news you post! I'll be praying for him as he goes through the procedure tomorrow. I've also purchased your recipe book, so glad I could contribute to this beautiful boy's life!!! (((HUGS)))

edy said...

Good thoughts are being sent to little Kimble and the entire family!

Elise said...

I agree with Jenni!! Amazing how resilient all those little babies are and how strong and determined they are to get better. Kimble is adorable. Hope tomorrow goes well.

Maynards said...

Oh, I can't help but shed a few tears every time I see that tiny little baby surrounded by so many cords and machines. What a trooper.
Our prayers are constantly going out for you guys, and more will be said today. I sure miss you Shaina, but I am so glad you are with your baby. He is so very precious. Next time we are in Denver, I will stop by for sure.

Pam said...

I love the photos. He is just a doll. You are in my prayers.

Sara said...

I do believe that is my most favorite baby blanket I have ever made :)