My baby is getting taken off his prostoglandin today. He has been on it since he was minutes old. It is the essential medicine that has been keeping his PDA open so that enough oxygenated blood could get pumped through the heart.
Our doctors decided that today is the day to test his heart, and see how he does without this "trap door" to help him out. Now we wait...hours, days...to see what his heart will do, and if it will be good enough for his body. They can always start the prostoglandin again, if his saturation levels get too low. They can also place a stent, a more permanent way to keep that PDA open.
Also, during these past few days, he has had an infection. You wouldn't know it by looking at him, since he seems to be healthy and strong, but nevertheless, he has had an infection in his blood. It was probably a result of his PICC line getting infected, so they removed that yesterday. However, since he is still on antibiotics for his infection, we are hoping that it doesn't interfere with this next step.
Besides all that, Kimble really does seem to be doing well. Now we get to wait....some more.