Saturday, November 14, 2009

How Many Paper Towels Does It Take... dry off after a shower? If you don't know the answer to that question, consider yourself fortunate.

The nice thing about our little space in the Cardiac ICU, is that there is a place for me to sleep. There is a place for me to hold baby. There is a place for me to pump my breastmilk. There is a bathroom a few feet away. There is a little kitchen where I can store food and most importantly, get all the CRUSHED ICE that I want.

However, if I want to shower, I have to leave the ICU, (clothed in my jammies, hair sticking up everywhere and looking dreadful, I'm sure), walk down the long hallway, take the elevator up to the 4th floor, walk down another long hallway, and use the one and only shower that is available. When making this trek, you hope with all hope that the shower is not in use. Some days, you get lucky. Most days, you have to camp out in the hallway and wait. Yesterday I didn't get a shower until almost 10am. It's quite a bummer.

For that reason, I like to get a shower between 5am and 6am. It seems like a good time since most parents are still sleeping. This morning, it was almost 6am when I got up. (Yes, I've been sleeping more.) I rushed off quickly to get a shower, hoping that no one was in there. As luck would have it, it was open. However, in my haste to get there, I neglected to ask a nurse for a towel before I left the ICU. Rather than risk somebody sneaking into the shower during the few minutes it would take me to go back and get a towel, I decided that using paper towels would be the better option.

I honestly didn't count how many paper towels it took, but let me just say that it was a lot. It does the job, but certainly isn't as easy as a cloth towel is, especially because you can't shimmy a napkin across your back to dry it off like you can a towel.

The funny thing is, Heath stayed with baby and I last night too. He also made the trip to the shower in haste, hoping to get in there after me. Like me, he forgot to ask for a towel as well. At least there were plenty of paper towels to use. I'd hate to find out how many toilet seat covers it would take to dry off.


runningfan said...

You poor thing! Way to make a funny blog post out of a lousy situation. I hope you have taken pictures of your living quarters.

Pam said...

Too funny! Love your spirit.

purejoy said...

hahahaha, toilet seat covers!! way to make a pretty downer of a time into a humorous situation.
as for the toilet seat covers, i've rarely seen them apparently it's more in vogue to have the HOLDERS for the toilet seat covers than the ACTUAL covers. grrrrr.

Colleen said...

I am so glad your priceless Shaina sense of humor endures through this stressful time! So funny! I am glad you didn't have to use those toilet seat covers. I am sure their absorbency is significantly less than the paper towels! I've had to use the paper towels at the Y before when I forgot a towel, and they are especially bad for drying the hair.

Maynards said...

You crack me up Shaina. I too, am glad you didn't have to use toilet seat covers, but paper towels don't sound like much fun either. Yikes!

Burns Family said...

Its funny how many of these experiences I am reliving as you describe your day to day. Little things I had forgotten. Thanks for sharing, your sense of humor is great!

Nicki said...

It sounds like you are on a camping trip--kind of like that one we went on and you had that allergic reaction. . . You find the humor in all things. Glad that his levels are looking better.

Momof3kids said...

I LOVE your awesome, uplifting spirit. I work in the ER in my hometown and when my daugher was born, 4 years ago, I never dreamed she would need the EOPC. I know how stressful, tiring, scary that was for me and she was only there for 4 days!

I am so glad that baby Kimble is doing so well...your entire family is in my prayers!

~Whitney Sayler~ Tulsa, OK

kendra said...

Shaina!! Seriously? What a pain.

I'm so happy, though, that Kimble is doing well. Cameron got a text from Heath I think two days ago saying the medicine seems to be working so far. I hope it continues too.

Kimble's face is so beautiful in the pictures. I love the ones of him "smiling". I'm sure the other kids were so happy to meet their brother.

Hang in there...still praying