Friday, November 13, 2009

Stupid Episodes

So baby Kimble did pretty well all day yesterday, recovering from his Cath procedure the day before. It wasn't until the evening that he started having some frequent drops in his oxygen saturation levels. This has happened on occasion since he was born, but the frequency of it was worrying. Thankfully, they were quick decelerations, and he recovered within seconds, but it was enough to send doctors and nurses into a frenzy, wondering why it was happening.

They tossed back and forth a few ideas. It seemed like apnea. Maybe he was holding his breath...forgetting to breathe...something like that. Maybe he had acid reflux, which caused him some pain, and he tightened up, and oxygen levels went down. Maybe the machines were just tweaking out, and his levels were just fine.

Then I was holding him, and he had another desaturation. He turned pretty purple, and it was scary for me. I have to say, holding on to your baby and not being able to help them is quite possibly the worst thing in the world. Luckily, I had some amazing nurses and doctors with me last night, and I got a lot of comfort and a lot of attention. They worked hard to solve the puzzle.

A little bit later, after reviewing his most recent Echo, they think they found a reason for his desaturation. Where his pulmonary valve attaches to the right ventricle, the area is very thick and muscle-bound and tortuous, and tight. They think that Kimble's heart is beating so fast, it's almost too fast for his right ventricle to keep up, and instead it seizes. This was to be expected, and has been warned would happen. His right ventricle needs to basically learn how to start pumping and relaxing. Anyway, as a result, where that valve attaches, part of the muscle tends to squeeze the valve closed, preventing blood flow. Hence the blood squirts back up through the ventricle and atrium, into the left side of the heart, and gets pumped to the body. Since this blood is blue blood, or non-oxygenated blood, it causes a decrease of oxygen saturation in his body. Thus, his saturation levels drop on the monitor, then his machines DING DING DING for all the world to hear, and causes nurses to come running, and mommy to start crying.

Stupid episodes.

So, they started some medicine for him to actually slow his heart rate down a bit, and hopefully allow a bit more recovery time for his right ventricle to contract and relax more appropriately. Kimble had a good night, with good saturation levels, and I forced myself to sleep, instead of standing vigil beside him.

Today, as well as through the weekend, we are going to just watch him, adjust levels of medicine, and hope that this solves the problem.

15 comments:

Lindsey said...

I know you don't me and I found your blog through a friend, but I just want you to know that your tiny little spirit is beautiful and I pray for you everyday. I hope this day goes much better :)

purejoy said...

awwww. being a heart baby mommy is tough work. you are so calm and peaceful and it is evident how very much you love and care for kimble (i know that's a huge duh there). he's certainly precious and in really good hands.
may God give you an extra measure of peace today.

dippyrooroo said...

I'm so glad that they have been so good to you there at the hospital. And that they've been able to do so much for sweet Kimble.

Me and My Girls said...

Oh poor Kimble, I can't even imagine how hard that was to see in like that in your arms. I am glad there are good doctors and nurses there for him. Keep up your positvie attitude, prayers are being said for all of you. Kiss kimbles cute chubby cheak from Aunt Bek bek bekah.

runningfan said...

Praying for you...

Queen of Chaos said...

I am amazed at the level of technology we have in our day. We all, especially your family at this time, are so very blessed.

I love the pictures of Kimble 'smiling'! So sweet.

We are thankful that the procedure thus far went well. Our prayers continue to be on your behalf.

ModernMom said...

Wishing you strength to get through the "stupid" episodes. Prayers and hugs...

Lydia said...

I'm glad to hear how things are going now. That has to be so scary when he turns purple. I've seen it before, but never my baby! Hang in there, keep making yourself get some sleep!

Jennifer Magreevy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the "stupid episodes" are happening...and that they are stressing you out! :( Hopefully things will get better soon. BTW, got my cookbook today, can't wait to start making some of your recipes!! :)

Carol said...

It sounds like the medical staff is right on top of things, and that this new course of action is doing the trick. Hoping for continued progress for Kimble through the weekend!

Colleen said...

I'm glad you were able to get some sleep! I understand how strong the desire to stand vigil is. I am so thankful you are surrounded by so many amazing medical professionals! I am praying these new steps will strengthen Kimble's heart. John did my hair today and told me to tell you he's praying for you too!

Pam said...

Praying in Arkansas

Jed and Kera said...

So glad you have such wonderful nurses and doctors around. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers!Love his little cheeks!

Maynards said...

That must be so scary! I am glad they have hopefully fixed the problem for now. Geeze!

Sara said...

Sheeeesh, I can't imagine how difficult this must be. Hang in there Shaina. Our love and prayers are with you every day :)