Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Christmas Stocking

You know the song from Sesame Street, where they show a grid of objects, all of them similar except for one, and they sing the song: One of these things is not like the others.... Well, there is a really good reason why one of these stockings is different. Can you tell which one I'm talking about?


Yes. Kimble's stocking is different...for a good reason. First, let me give you the history of our Christmas stockings. When the Husband and I got married, my good friend Gladys, and former boss, gave us a set of knitted Christmas stockings, with our name on it, for a wedding present. We both thought they were pretty cool. Better yet, each time we had a baby, she presented us with another stocking to add to the mix. She had a friend that knitted them for us.
.
When we found out about Kimble's heart condition, one of the first things I did was call up Gladys and ask her if her friend was still around, and if she could make us one last stocking to complete our family's Christmas stockings. She regretfully told me that her friend had passed away a few months previous.
.
I was so sad. How would I find a stocking to match?
.
A few months later, I was talking with my sister Shavonne. She knits. In fact, she made that adorable hat that baby Kimble wore in the hospital, which was the envy of all the nurses and doctors there. Anyway, upon talking with Shavonne in October, I asked her if she could figure out how to replicate the stocking, so Kimble could have one too. She wasn't sure. At that time, the baby's name was still a secret. So I gave her incentive. If she could figure out the pattern and make the stocking, I would tell her the baby's name. She agreed.
.
A few weeks later, she had spent quite a bit of time counting out the rows and had determined that she could figure it out. Also, Gladys had contacted the lady's daughter, and had gotten the pattern for the stocking from her. She sent it to Shavonne, I told Shavonne the name, and viola! We had a Christmas stocking!
.
Shavoonne was thrilled with her project. I was thrilled that she could do it!! We now had a complete family collection of personalized knitted Christmas stockings. Shavonne placed Kimble's stocking next to my stocking that I sent home with her as a guide, and discovered a discrepancy in size. Turns out Shavonne knits a bit looser than the other lady knitted, thus Kimble's stocking is a bit bigger than the other's. Also, his green yarn is a little different color than the other green stockings.
.
Do I care? Not one bit. I absolutely LOVE that he has a stocking that matches, and I LOVE that it's a bit unique. He is certainly a special little boy. Plus, the stocking was made from a lot of love. It's perfect.
Kimble loves his stocking too.

Thank you so much Shavonne!!! I wouldn't want it any other way. You are the best!

18 comments:

Eric's Mommy said...

I love the picture of Kimble in his stocking!! That made my day, so cute!!

runningfan said...

So cute. We have baby-in-a-stocking photos of Zachary. I love them!

4everYoung said...

that is absolutely precious! Great pics of him in the stockings.

Marlene said...

I ran on to your blog one day and have been following it through all you challeges the last while. It has struck feelings because I lost a little sister to heart problems several years ago. I also had a grandson with a cleft lip. I admire your strengh and attitude. My prayers are with you and your family.

Jed and Kera said...

Oh my Goodness! I can't believe a picture could be so precious! Kimble looks so adorable IN his stocking! :O)

Shavonne said...

haha, next to the others it does look ginormous! But obviously I planned that he could fit in it... yeah, that's it! anyway, glad I could do it. Thanks for taking a picture of him in the stocking, it is the perfect thank you!

Sharon said...

shavonne's basically a genius... yeah all the stockings match! I love kimble in the sticking, he's super cute!

Maynards said...

I love the baby in the stocking pictures. We got some of Mary when she was born (two days before Christmas).
I think the unique stocking is great. It is nice and big, so Santa can get all sorts of great stuff in it!

Carol said...

So very sweet!! It makes for a wonderful family tradition - not just hanging the stockings, but the stories of where they all came from! :)

Nancy said...

Adorable!!

purejoy said...

i remember that sesame street song… so cute that his is the biggest, and he's the smallest! he looks so snuggly in his little stocking.
he's adorable!

Jeff and Lori said...

Love the stocking pictures. It was so fun to see Kimble at church! When I'm 100% healthy, I'll get a little closer. :)

Colleen said...

What a treasure! Such cute photos. Tommy would tear a hole in his stocking.

Queen of Chaos said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Shavonne, you rock!

kendra said...

So sweet! what a good sister.

DougandSheilah said...

how cute. we put ben in a stocking his first christmas too.

COKE FAMILY said...

What a wonderful picture. I love Kimble in the stocking.

courtney said...

That picture of Kimble needs to be blown up and put on the wall! Good job Shavs, you did awesome!

Have a fantastic Christmas with your bundle of joy!