Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Wrapping

Before I was married, my friend Jen gave me a gift for Christmas. It was wrapped in a cloth bag, Christmas material, and tied with a bow. I thought it was so clever. What a great way to re-use Christmas wrapping year after year.

That year, after Christmas, in January, I went to the craft store and bought tons of Christmas material, all 80% off. I made all manner of different sizes of bags (basically like pillow cases, with one end left open)...bags to fill something as big as a tv, and bags to fill tiny presents, like jewelry.

Every year, instead of messing around with wrapping paper, we just get out our cloth bags, put the gift inside, and tie the top with a ribbon. I even have little wood tags that I made years ago, painted, and wrote the names of different members of our family. So now I just have to loop the ribbon through the little hole in the top of the wood tag, finish tying the ribbon pretty, and viola! Completely re-usable gift wrapping.


I usually have much prettier ribbon, with big bows, closing the tops of each gift bag, but this year, I felt happy just to get the gifts under the tree.

I encourage you to get some material next month, when all the Christmas material is on clearance, and start your own tradition of cloth gift bags. You'll never go back to paper wrapping again! (If you are even more ambitious, a set of these bags makes a great gift to help your loved ones start their collection of gift wrapping.)

6 comments:

Vix said...

What a totally fantastic idea! I am definitely going to do that come January (anything to put off making the new loose covers for the sofas lol!)!

Dan and Katie said...

LOVE IT!!!!

Bobbi said...

I LOVE that idea! i couldnt wait...i just went and bought some fabric to do it this year. 60% off too! THANK YOU! family pic is adorable by the way...

steffany said...

That is a great idea! I love the idea of a one-time purchase, and skipping the wrapping paper mess.

I'm Always Rite said...

You know we've been using cloth wrapping for years, but I totally dig your wooden tag idea! I am totall going to make us reusable tags! Thanks Wonder Woman! ;}

Julz said...

I made a couple before Christmas to try it out. I Love the simplicity and they actually look nice under the tree. I've seen made lots more. Thanks for sharing this idea