Sunday, January 24, 2010

Count Your Blessings

There have been many times in my life where I am struck by how I have been blessed. I was born into a fabulous family...with so many siblings who are such inspiring examples of sacrifice, love, endurance, service, and joy....parents who love each other and have taught us how to be the best we can be and to turn our faith in God...and together, we see each other through the highs and lows that naturally occur in our life.


In addition, I have friends who have become as close to me as my siblings. Best friends who have an uncanny ability to know my needs and act on their impressions. Friends that share in my grief and bask in my happiness.

My husband is also one of those great blessings in my life. He has taught me the principle that you are who you make yourself become. You have the power to change your life. He loves openly. He is not afraid to share feelings. He puts his family first.

Today at church, I was asked to share a favorite hymn, and explain why it is important to me. I immediately thought of the Hymn "Count your blessings". (See HERE for complete lyrics) When I was about 13 years old, I decided to memorize all four verses of that song during a church meeting. I don't know why I chose that song at that particular time, and can only guess that I was inspired to do so, because throughout my life, in times of grief and hardship, my mind directed my thoughts back to the verses of that song, and it always gave me comfort and peace.

As shared in church today(or I should say blubbered my way through it), one such time was a few months ago, the night after Kimble had his heart surgery. Things did not go well. After a very long night of watching my baby's life being saved again and again, things finally stabilized. I was able to count my many blessings. Blessings of having the medical staff know just what to do. Blessings of having my husband by my side. Blessings of knowing that thousands of people were praying for us. Blessings of knowing that no matter what happens, Heavenly Father loves me. Blessings of knowing that my family is bound together for eternity, and that even if Kimble (or anyone in my family) dies, that we will still be a family, and that we will be together again.


I have been blessed so much, from small things, to things that change my life. Thank you for being part of those blessings.

9 comments:

purejoy said...

awwww. i too think counting my blessings is a wonderful passtime.
hope you have a blessed week!

Colleen said...

Thank you for sharing today, Shaina. Your faith helps my faith grow. There is no greater compliment than I can think of than that. Love you!

kdaygirl said...

We do have a pretty fab family!

Trinette McCrary said...

Thanks for sharing. I sure do miss out on a lot of things being in YW!!

Shavonne said...

AMEN!

Maynards said...

I keep hearing about stuff in Relief Society..but no details. Thank you for sharing that with those of us who weren't there. That was a precious post.

Queen of Chaos said...

:) Thanks for sharing your heart. You have been very blessed.

Carolann said...

What an inspiring post.

prashant said...

blessings is a wonderful passtime.

Work from home India