Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Grocery Shopping

I was trying not to have to do major grocery shopping with the kids. First off, it is just more difficult trying to manage kids jumping around, sneaking bags of candy into the cart, running down the aisles because they think it's a fun game, smashing into other people because they are walking backwards...with their eyes still staring longingly at the box of cookies I refused to buy, or hanging/dragging on the already overloaded and heavy grocery cart. Not to mention the looks I get from other people, the crowds I don't want to deal with, or the germs my kids will pick up from touching everything, or the fact that I have to keep saying "NO" to my kids when they ask if they can have EVERYTHING they see.

Anyway, thus far, since having Mr. Kimble, I've managed to do most of the shopping on a weekend, or a day when the husband is home. However, after having the family eat cereal three days in a row...for dinner...I knew I could not delay it anymore.

So I made up a list of dinners, filled out a list of ingredients, packed up baby in the snuggy (because with all I needed to get, the carseat wouldn't fit in the basket!) loaded up Georgie, and we took off down the rows and rows of packaged goods.

Now I can't complain too much, since I only had two kids with me instead of five. But it still was something I wanted to avoid, especially since I hate to expose Kimble to public germs.

However, Mr. Kimble stayed asleep the whole time, and despite Georgie prancing around the basket and aisles the whole time, and only threatening to pee her pants twice, we made it out with a FULL cart, one tired shoulder from holding my 10 lb 5 oz baby (gained 5 oz in two days!) and a happy girl who got a bag of mini marshmallows out of the deal.

Oh, and see the two people in red, staring at me in the background of this picture? They stared at me in the store, they stared at me as we left the store, and they stared at me as I loaded up the van. They were parked in the "expecting mothers" parking. Do you think they were expecting? Of course not. Anyone who can be so appalled at my full cart and...count them...TWO KIDS(!) is definitely NOT the expecting mother type.

9 comments:

runningfan said...

I'm glad this post wasn't about a supermarket horror story (villains in red notwithstanding).

rad6 said...

dont people just make you nuts sometimes... all the comments and looks, like it is not hard enough already.
Good job making it through. Definitely noteworthy.

Colleen said...

Oh I LOVE that Kimble is growing so well! And I have to say that your grocery trips sound so much like mine it's scary. I am proud of you! Good work.

Adri said...

I think moms deserve a medal for grocery shopping with kids. I remember the glory days with one baby, who could sit in the cart, who would happily eat a banana or bag of fruit snacks while I calmly perused the aisles and sang him songs. I thought motherhood and grocery shopping were perfect companions. Until baby #2. Ever since then, I go to GREAT lengths (including shopping at 11pm) to battle the grocery list ALONE! :)

P.S. I hate nasty people who abuse parking spots reserved for others.

P.P.S. While a parking spot for 'expectant mothers' is good, I think a parking spot for 'a mother lugging a carseat and wrangling toddlers' would be better. :)

Vix said...

I only have two children and supermarket with kids = hell on earth! Thank heavens for online shopping, that nice man drops all my goods at the front door! Do they not have that over the pond?

annie said...

I love that wrap. I have one like it. I haven't used it in a while...But maybe I'll see if it's still fun to use with him so big now. :)

annie said...

And what do you mean the "expecting mothers" parking? Is there a specific spot? like handicap parking spot? Just curious...

DougandSheilah said...

I totally understand the shopping nightmare. Doug and I took the youngest two and bought 2 carts full of food. We hadn't gone in a couple of weeks and were stocking up. Nobody got in our line to checkout till we were almost done.

Maynards said...

I didn't know there was an expecting mother's parking spot? Where is that?
Glad your trip went well. Mine wasn't so successful today.