Sunday, January 17, 2010

Peanut Butter LOVERS Unite!

If you are like me, and dream in shades of peanut butter, then you will love this peanut butter pie that I made. Last week, the husband and I were watching Food Network, and whatever show we were watching showed some of the best places to eat...somewhere. Anyway, the details of the show escape me, but one thing stuck. Peanut Butter Pie. The lady didn't give away her secret recipe, but nevertheless, she inspired me. Thus, a recipe was born. A recipe that although bears simplicity, tastes rich and delicious and absolutely sinful.

This week, the family and I had our Thanksgiving (a few months late) due to the adventures we were undergoing in November with our baby. For our dessert, I made this pie. It was the perfect ending to our celebratory feast. It was also the perfect late night snack attack quencher, mid morning sugar rush, and afternoon delight. Somebody stop me from eating it! (Heidi, the slices are going fast if you still want to sample!)
So, because I made the recipe up, and didn't take the time to write out exact measurements, for fear that it wouldn't turn out, the recipe I am going to give you is in approximations. Hope you will forgive me.
.
Peanut Butter Pie
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 big box of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 small box of instant butterscotch pudding mix
(enough milk to make pudding mixes)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 TBSP sugar
2 Pie Crusts
.
1)Bake pie crusts in the oven, according to packaged instructions.
.
2)Mix peanut butter with powdered sugar until mixture is crumbly. (You may need to add more or less powdered sugar to get the right consistency.)
.
3)Beat whipping cream and sugar in a mixer until it softly peaks, about 12 minutes.
.
4)Make your vanilla pudding and butterscotch pudding in separate bowls, adding enough milk for the "pudding pie" directions.
.
Assembly: After your crusts have cooled, sprinkle some of the peanut butter crumbs into the bottom of the pie crusts. Divide your vanilla pudding between the two pies. Top with more crumbs. Add layer of butterscotch pudding. Top with crumbs. Spread whipped cream on top of both pies, then sprinkle top with crumbs. Keep in fridge until ready to serve.
If you are really going for some calories, or think like I do, and believe that chocolate should always accompany peanut butter, then do what the husband did. He topped his pie with "Magic Shell", found in the ice cream toppings section of your grocery store. The result tasted exactly like a Reese's peanut butter cup, disguised in pie form. Super amazing.

aaah. And I wonder why I weigh so much.

5 comments:

runningfan said...

I can't believe I forgot to come by! That pie looks divine!

Dan and Katie said...

that looks delicious!!!

Maynards said...

Holy Moly!

Colleen said...

Oh yum yum yum! I am glad you topped it with chocolate, because I was going to say all it needed was some chocolate!

Megan said...

Yum. At first I was going to say it needed chocolate and it might be too rich of a peanut butter taste but after reading the recipe is really got the vanilla and butterscotch to counter the peanut butter. And I'm with the husband. It looks great with a good dose of chocolate! Good luck reading that comment above min. Looks interesting:)