Friday, January 15, 2010

Vietnamese Egg Rolls

My friend Young makes some amazing Asian cuisine. I think her most popular dish has to be these eggrolls. Just about every activity, party, get-together, birthday, holiday that we spent with them in California, Young would make these eggrolls. What would a party be without them? Not much of one, I'll tell ya that.



I think Young could get us to do anything she wanted, if it accompanied these eggrolls. Oh, you need help moving? You want me to clean your toilets? Scrub your floors? Wash all your cloth diapers? You got it....just as long as you make eggrolls. It's a deal.

Lucky for me, she gave me the recipe, and now I'm going to share them with you. (No scrubbing of toilets necessary.)

Vietnamese Egg Rolls
1 pkg ground turkey
1 pkg ground pork
2 cups grated carrots, chopped up
5 green onions, diced small
1 pkg vermicelli bean threads
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP salt
1 TBSP pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 TBSP oyster sauce
2 eggs
1 pkg egg roll wrappers

Soak the bean threads in water for about 30 minutes. Drain and chop so strands are about 1/2 inch long. Add all the ingredients together and mix well.

Place about 3 TBSP of mixture in the middle of your egg roll wrapper,









Fold bottom corner up.










Fold in the two sides.




Wet the remaining tip of wrapper with some water, then fold over and press into the eggroll to seal closed.







With your stove heat on about medium to medium high, heat about two inches of oil in your big pot. When oil is hot, place about 4-5 eggrolls in the oil, frying for about 15 minutes, turning every few minutes, until they are a golden brown. (You don't want your oil too hot, or it will cook the outside and the insides will still be raw.)


This recipe makes about 25 eggrolls. You can freeze them, before you fry them, if you don't want to fry up all at once.

3 comments:

kendra said...

I had lots of catch-up to do. I love the post about the blessing.

I'm dying at the people staring at you at Walmart - what is it with people?! It's not like you'd comment on their matching sweat suits or something. Sheesh!! :)

Kimble looks a lot like Keaton to me. Amazing how fast they grow up!

Shavonne said...

yay, finally the egg roll recipe!

Ravenous Couple said...

yum looks great! like the use of turkey to make it more lean