Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Cookie Lesson

Kamy wanted to bring a treat to school for her classmates, when it was her birthday. She decided on Chocolate Chip Cookies. I couldn't argue with her. They are really good. So the night before, I told Kamy that if she wanted cookies for her classroom, then she would have to make them. She almost hyperventilated, she was so excited to bake!
So I stood over her, telling her what to do, but it was her hands that actually made the cookies. She cracked all the eggs perfectly. Kolby was jealous. He really wanted to help, but this was Kamy's job.
So she added all the ingredients, measured everything herself, and made the cookies! She even scooped out the cookies onto the pan.


When I was out of the kitchen, she snuck some bites of the cookie dough. Kolby, who was watching like a hawk, tried to tattle on her, but I informed him that it was the privilege of the Cook, to sample at will. He declared that when it was his birthday, he would make cookies and "sample" all of them. {chuckle}

Anyway, in the end, after we had some cookies ourselves, Kamy had more than two dozen chocolate chip cookies to share with her class. She got raving reviews.
Many times, when Kamy asks to help make things, I tell her "No", simply because I know I can do it faster myself. But I need to remember to slow down. Have patience. Teach. Most of all, I need to remember the look on my daughter's face after she made the cookies all by herself; her look of pride at such an accomplishment. I may have thought I was teaching HER how to make something, but in my eyes, she was teaching Me. Thanks Kamy.

11 comments:

purejoy said...

you gave your daughter such a wonderful gift. my mom was always so worried about her precious kitchen. i learned how to cook despite her! you made a precious memory with her! bravo~

runningfan said...

Way to go, Mama!

Nicki said...

I feel like Kolby--I need to make that dough and sample it all too! Way to go Kamy, on making those cookies all by yourself. Happy Birthday to you and hope this next year is even better than the last. (Also, I must comment on cute Mr. Kimble--he's growing so fast.)

Jen Sue Wild said...

These are the bast moments!!
Happy birthday Kammy. I love you my little friend..

Megan said...

So cute! I have had to have that lesson myself a few times. My kids really want to learn to cook. But sometimes when I want to be quick and less messy I try to sneak and bake (at least mix the ingredients) when I know they're distracted. Maybe I'll have to let my kids make a treat today - all by themselves.

DougandSheilah said...

I do the same thing and say no just because I can do it faster. Yesterday I let Evan help make fudge and he was so proud and told everyone when they got home. Luckily Doug cooks with the boys on saturday and lets them help a lot.

Shavonne said...

We were baking cookies and cakes at that age! That's cool, Kamy looks really proud, and those cookies look really good!

Colleen said...

I loved baking cookies when I was a young girl too. What fun for her! And they look absolutely delicious!

Maynards said...

Good job Kamy! Those look great. I think you just inspired me to make some cookie dough. If there is any left...maybe I will make cookies too. ;)

teensy_dc said...

What a great experience - way to go Mom! :)

Penny said...

Shaina, So love your family/mom blogging,,, hugs to you and your family... Penny