Thursday, March 4, 2010

Frosted Orange Pie

I found this recipe in a Taste of Homes cookbook about 7 years ago.  I have made it off and on, and have always enjoyed it. It was the first pie I ever made that required cream of tartar.  I had no idea what it was or what it did.  Now I know..(thickening agent!).  Anyway, it's a great tasting pie, made from scratch.  It's easy to make, but you do need a set of beaters.  (not the wife kind...the mixing kind.)

Frosted Orange Pie

Pie Filling
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups water
2 egg yolks (reserve whites for use in topping)
3 TBSP grated orange zest
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
*1 pastry shell (9 inch), baked.

It helps to get all your ingredients ready beforehand, so separate your eggs, zest your fruit, measure out the juice, prebake your pie crust (**I used a premade nobake shortbread crust!**)...ok, now you are ready.  In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine sugar, flour, salt, and water.  Using a whisk, cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Take 1/2 cup of mixture in a small bowl, and stir in your 2 egg yolks to incorporate, then pour egg mixture back into the pot and incorporate it with the remaining amount of your batter.  Bring to a gentle boil (I turned my heat down to medium) and with your whisk, continue stirring mixture for 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in your zests and juices until mixture is smooth and creamy. (I like mine extra zippy, so I added some orange juice concentrate in addition to the fresh orange juice..about 1/4 cup.)  It should resemble the consistency of a thick brownie batter.  Pour into your pie crust and cool on countertop for 1 hour, then chill in fridge for at least 3 hours.  Then, spread on the topping.

Frosted Topping
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites
2 TBSP water
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut, toasted

In a double boiler (I use a small pot filled 1/3 way with water, and place a glass bowl on top of it, with water at a simmering temperature.) combine sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar, and salt.  Using your portable mixer (beaters), beat mixture for about 8 minutes, over the heat.  It should get nice and fluffy.  Then, remove mixture from heat and place in a standing mixer (I used my kitchen aid), beat on high for an additional 10 minutes or so, until mixture forms stiff peaks.  Spread over chilled pie.  Top with toasted coconut.  Keep in fridge  until ready to serve.

For my local friends, I made two of these pies last night, and we will only eat one.  Anyone want a pie?  Just leave me a comment.  The most pathetic friend, in need of a pie, will get it delivered to their house tonight. Not that I think my friends are pathetic...I'm just sayin', we all have days when we are in need of a pie.

7 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

Oh Yummy! That looks delish.

Trinette McCrary said...

Does losing large amounts of blood count:}

Jeff and Lori said...

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure going to the gym today (and my plans to go tomorrow) would give me a pretty good excuse for a pie, but Trinette is much more deserving :)

purejoy said...

dang. i wish i lived near you and not all the way over here in tennessee!! you're killing me with these recipes (i am not eating anything with refined sugar or sweets in general) but i wanted you to know i'm supporting kimble… i bought a cookbook today (for when i AM eating sweets again!)

Megan said...

Looks yummy! Wish I was a local friend :)

Maynards said...

I was about to give you a pathetic and sappy reason why I needed the pie, but I think Trinette deserves it. Loosing large amounts of blood sucks.

Trinette McCrary said...

Thanks for the scrumptious pie!!