Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I {heart} Mangos!

Mangos.  Mmmm.  Mangos.  My heart's desire.  As I said in a status update on Facebook, Mangos are officially my favorite food, and have replaced all past favorites, including pineapple, my chicken enchiladas, mashed potatoes, and Reeses!  Lately, they have even become my late night craving, instead of chocolate.  {Coincidentally, the plural form of mango can be spelled mangos or mangoes.  I prefer mangos.)

So with a bountiful harvest of mangos sitting on my kitchen counter, due to my overambitious shopping trip, I needed to figure out a way to eat them all up before they went bad.  THIS SALAD was a great way to use them for a few meals.  Then I had the most fabulous idea.  Mango Salsa.  Now, I know this isn't a breakthrough in salsas, but I've never actually made it before.  So I pulled together a few different resources from the internet, and came up with my own recipe for Mango Avocado Salsa.  You want some, don't you?

Mango Avocado Salsa
2 mangos
1-2 avocados
2-3 roma tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 garlic cloved, minced
3-4 slices of jalapeno, diced small (I used the sliced jalapenos, in a jar)
1/4 cup diced onion
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp each of cumin and chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

I served this salsa with creamy chicken taquitos...recipe for that coming soon.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Avocados, good. Mangos, good. That's got to be some good salsa!

purejoy said...

ohmystars. i love mangoes. i have to try this one. i made a mad-mango chicken dinner recently. it was spicy and yummy. think i can find that stupid recipe?? grrrrrrr.