Monday, March 1, 2010

My Dream Salad

I think if I could make-out with a salad, this would be my salad of choice. It's one of those finger-licking, eat every morsel, lick the bottom of the plate, distract your child and as they look away and snatch a bite off their plate, type of salad. For such a simple dish, it sure brings me lots of pleasure. It got a big thumbs up from all the kids as well, so if you are looking for a dinner out of the ordinary, or heck, if you have any sense about you at all, you will try this salad.


I found this salad at Our Best Bites. Maybe some of you are frequent visitors to this site, but I just discovered it a few weeks ago. I immediately began bookmarking some of the recipes (some of which I'll post about later this week) and was really really excited to try this salad. It has a few parts to it: The Salad. The Dressing. The Chicken. Let's get going.

The Salad is rather simple. Just three things: Romaine; fresh mangos; fresh avocados. However, I used a Spring Salad Mix I got at Costco, then sliced up two mangos and two avocados. Actually, we might have been a bit ambitious in our love for mangos and avocados, and used more than two, but go with an amount you desire. It's your salad, after all. (As a side note, the Husband thought strawberries would be a good addition to this salad, and I really believe that some toasted pecans would be amazing with it. Do what you will.)

The Dressing is made up with stuff you probably already have in your fridge and pantry. My version is slightly different than the original.
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp grated onion
1/3 cup orange juice
3 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Blend all ingredients together in a bowl, using a whisk, or shake well in a sealed jar. Keep in fridge until salad is ready to be served.

The Chicken tastes so fantastic. There are two parts to the preparation. First, a rub. Second, a glaze. First, we will do the rub. (Again, my version is a bit different)
Chicken Spice Rub
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
2 shakes of cayenne pepper
10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Blend all the spices together. Cut away any fat pieces or tendons from the chicken thighs. Place chicken in a Ziploc bag and drizzle oil over chicken. Rub around through the Ziploc bag, making sure oil is coating all the chicken pieces. Pour in spice mixture over chicken. Seal bag, then shake the bag around a lot, coating all the chicken in the spice mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes or so while the grill heats up, then grill chicken on the BBQ.

Chicken Glaze: Mix 1/2 cup of honey with 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar. Remove 2 Tbsp of glaze to reserve for later. With the remaining amount, the last minute of cooking time for the chicken, coat chicken on both sides. Keep on grill for 1 minute, then remove from grill. Allow chicken to rest for a few minutes before you slice it for your salad.

Assembly:
Combine your salad with your dressing. Toss well to coat. Layer your salad on your plate, starting with the salad, top with sliced mangos and avocados, then top with chicken. Using your reserved 2 Tbsp of honey mixture, drizzle over top of salad. Enjoy.

My thoughts: We LOVED this salad so much, that we wished we would have made extra chicken, to have with the salad for lunch the next day. We had major mango-envy as well, and wanted nothing more than to live on this salad for the rest of our lives. If you think this salad looks good to you, I encourage you to get enough to make it twice...or three times, or everyday for a month. Then, at that point, you can go back to the store and buy more..to make it again. We are having it again for dinner tonight (all the kids cheered when I told them that) and I'm definitely adding toasted pecans, as well as making extras for leftovers. (To my local friends, Costco has a box of mangos for 7.99. They are perfectly ripe and juicy and sweet. I bought two boxes.)

5 comments:

Adri said...

Looks yummy! And, thanks for the tip on the mangoes. I'll be picking some up this week. The other day Dallin was in for his appointment with his nephrologist. They asked him what kinds of things he liked to eat. When they said, "What's your favorite fruit?" he answered, "Mangoes." The nutritionist looked, questioningly, at Chad. He confirmed that yes, we do eat a lot of mangoes around here. She laughed out loud with surprise! It is good to know our family isn't alone in our love of mangoes!

my4suns2 said...

So my mouth is watering and I have no chicken legs. What to do? Darn those trips to the grocery store! Thanks, i'm excited to try it!

runningfan said...

Can I have a bit next time you make it? My family would balk...

Shonni said...

This looks and sounds delicious...I must try it.

Team Sax said...

Just ordered your book via Colleen & her friend Jen's (my sister in law) blog. Love your blog- I will be a frequent visitor!