Monday, March 8, 2010

Sausage and Tortellini Soup

If you can't already guess by my mulititude of recipes that require sausage....we are sausage fans.  Go with it.

Sausage & Tortellini Soup
1 lb Italian sausage
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 zucchini, chopped small
2 lg carrots, chopped small
1 cup mushrooms, chopped (not a fan of mushrooms, so I omitted these)
6 cups beef broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
9 oz fresh cheese tortellini
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Brown the sausage, garlic, onion, and carrot, together, cooking for about 12 minutes.  Drain grease if necessary.  Add in chopped mushrooms and zucchini and then cook for a few minutes.  Add diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, and beef broth.  Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes (stirring every few minutes).  Add tortellini and cook about 8 more minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Stir in cheese (or reserve for topping) and serve.

Sorry I slacked on the last two days of Recipe Week!  I've got one more recipe comin', then it's back to regularly scheduled programming.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Having recently been the recipient of this soup, I can honestly say that it is delicious!

Megan said...

We love sausage too and I've been wanting a new recipe to make with tortillini since my kids love it. Thanks.

Jen said...

I need to try this with the sausage for my Husband and without for me. Looks Yummy

Heidi said...

I am making this soup tonight for my family. I can't wait to try it.

I also bought enough ingredients to make a 2nd batch on Thursday. I'm bringing it along with some crusty french bread and banana bread to a friend who just had a little baby last week.

Thanks for sharing it!