Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thankful FOUR!

As of tomorrow, it will be four months since our little Kimble was born.  I have truly delighted in every moment with him.
People always comment on his eyes.  They are dark and big.  It's not so much their color, or their shape, but they have a light in them that comes from within.  He is very expressive with his eyes.  Likewise, he watches everything around him with such intensity.  He recognizes me instantly, and is soothed just by seeing me.  He is definitely partial to his momma, and that delights me.

He is starting to make progress with grasping onto things.  He can't really manage hand placement yet, but if he happens to bump against something, he grabs it.  He likes to hold onto my shirt when he is eating, or being rocked to sleep.    He'll hold an edge of a blanket, or a burp cloth against him.  He sometimes manages to get it up to his mouth too, but isn't always successful.  His hands have a mind of their own!

His arms usually stay hugged against his body, and if I put a toy there, he'll hug it against him, such is the case with this little toy in the next picture.  My friend-in-law Jen (Colleen's friend from Washington that visited with us once in the hospital...hi Jen!) gave Kimble this little soft blanket-bear combination.  It's adorable and squishy and so soft, and it has the softest little rattle sound.  I love it, and Kimble loves it too.

Whenever he doesn't have his binkie in his mouth, he sucks on his fist.  Right now, he's not partial to the right or left, just as long as he has one in his mouth.  His thumbs aren't held prisoner by his other fingers anymore, so sometimes they find their way in his mouth, but as of now, he prefers his entire fist.  Regardless, he sure does go to town as he sucks on it.  He's loved sucking on his fists, since he was in utero.  Old habits die hard!
(That's a little scratch on Kimble's nose from his nails, that always need clipping.)

Kimble wakes up everymorning like clockwork, at 6:30am.  He wants to eat, then he wants to interact for a while.  He coos and coos and watches me...waiting for a response.  When I say "hi" he smiles big, kicks his legs, waves his arms, and says "hi" back.  Really, it does sound like he's saying "hi".  He's so cute.  We take turns like this, cooing back and forth for a while, then we go wake up the kids to get ready for school.
By 8:15am, he wants to be asleep again.  He's very demanding about this. This is the only set time I can count on him sleeping.  However, he does sleep a lot during the day, especially if he's in his carseat.  That thing is like magic, keeping him alseep.  I'm very thankful for that, especially when I'm out running errands.

Kimble loves taking baths with me at night.  He likes to float and kick his legs and he just has a great time in the water.  When it's time for bed, he likes to nuzzle against me and sleep.  If I'm lying down next to him in our bed (which is where he sleeps), and if I'm not close enough to him, he tries to squirm his body towards me.  It's really sweet.  He loves his momma!  He also loves to eat.  This boy nurses about 7 times throughout the night.  I don't complain.  We sleep well next to each other, so I don't feel so tired, even feeding him so many  times through the night.  He's gaining weight (last week he was 13.5 lbs) and has lots of chubby rolls to show for it.    He is a perfectly healthy baby, and for that we are very thankful.

Not to be outdone by his partiality for his momma, Kimble loves getting snuggles from Daddy as well...and from his big sister, who is always ready to greet him with a kiss.

As far as Kimble's future goes, He has two surgeries tentatively scheduled in the next 5 months or so.  He will need his cleft lip surgery, as well as his next heart surgery (the 2nd of 3 planned).  They will not be done at the same time.   Kimble has a cardiac MRI and a more extensive 3D echo planned in a few weeks.  The results of that will determine when they do his next heart surgery, which in turn, will decide when (before or after) he will have his cleft lip surgery.

12 comments:

purejoy said...

wish i had me some little baby that i could nibble on. my kids used to say neemmo neemmo mommy!! they loved a little nibble action.
he does have amazing eyes.
and i think minus the eyes he looks like your husband. and does his doting big sister.

what an adorable family you have! i could neemmo neemmo every last one of you! (but not in a weird way)

Dew said...

Oh, what a beautiful boy. Congratulations to you and all the best as you shepherd him through his upcoming and future surgeries. I will add extra kisses and love when I snuggle my own big-eyed boy, so they're out there in the Universe for yours.

Jen Sue Wild said...

He is so sweet. I just love this little boy. It dose my heart well to see him grow and thrive.. He is indeed a specheale little boy.

Colleen said...

What a sweetie pie. Kimble is such a perfect little baby! Doing everything just as he should and with such adorable Kimbleness! What a lucky boy to have you, and how lucky you are to have that boy!

Megan said...

SO cute. Those eyes are awesome. I love snuggly with my babies. This post makes me look forward more to the baby that will be arriving in our family (not soon enough).

Jen said...

I like the friend-in-law title. I am so glad he likes the bear. He is so incredibly cute and sweet and I am so glad I got to meet you all. Someday I will come back and get to see you all again. For now I get my Kimble fixes through the computer. He is so amazingly strong and that light in his eyes just shines through even in pictures.

Jed and Kera said...

Happy 1/3 of a year Kimble!! :O)

健康保寶 said...

thank you for you to make me learn more,thank you∩0∩ ........................................

Stephanie said...

I saw your story on Loly Chops and was so touched. I have purchased your cookbook and want you to know that you and your baby boy are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be following your blog to see how the little guy does. What a strong person he already has become! And you hang in there Momma!

KJ said...

Gorgeous photos of a beautiful family! I hope you are all well & happy! XX

Heidi said...

I can't get enough of his little face. Truly a gift.

Julie said...

He really does have amazing eyes! I'm glad he's doing so well!