I just got back from an appointment with Kimble's Cardiologist. After reviewing all the information from his MRI last month, his team of doctors have decided to have Kimble's next heart surgery set for June, instead of August, as they were originally thinking.
There are a few reasons for bumping it up. First, Kimble's tricuspid valve isn't allowing for bloodflow through to the right ventricle. If there is a chance of surgically fixing it, or tweaking it in some way to allow for more function, then they want to do that sooner rather than later. The Surgeon's can't say whether his tricuspid valve is salvageable unless they actually go into his heart and look at it.
Secondly, if they can do something with the valve, they want to do it sooner, rather than later, so as to give it ample time to function before it came down to needing to do the Fontan surgery, which is the third stage of surgery originally planned for Kimble. If the tricuspid can work well enough, then he may not need that last surgery, and could have a better functioning right heart.
So, the plan is for Kimble to undergo the Glenn procedure, which is rerouting the superior vena cava directly to the pulmonary valve, so as the bloodflow goes directly into the lungs, as opposed to getting pumped back into the nonfunctioning right chambers of his heart. While he is having the Glenn, the surgeons will look at his tricuspid and see what, if anything, they can do.
Even though the tricuspid valve is very tiny and very difficult to perform surgery on, his doctors feel it's best to do something now, instead of waiting. The benefits to waiting are that the valve is bigger and easier to adjust. However, if it is possible to make that valve better, via surgery, then they want to do it sooner, so that there is enough time to let it function as it should. It's all about weighing the options, which with Kimble, seem too numerous at times.
His cleft lip surgery is still scheduled for May 4th, and probably the day before, we'll go into the hospital to undergo some CathLab procedures, in preparation for his heart surgery the following month.
As with any surgery or procedure in the hospital, I get really nervous, but his next heart surgery is what really causes me to lose my composure. For some reason, I feel that this surgery is going to be what takes my baby from me. That he won't survive it. It's something I've carried with me since I first learned about his three stage surgery plan. I know that I just need to turn to my Heavenly Father to receive comfort. I think it's the only way to receive peace about this.