Thursday, April 8, 2010

Moving Up The Surgery

I just got back from an appointment with Kimble's Cardiologist. After reviewing all the information from his MRI last month, his team of doctors have decided to have Kimble's next heart surgery set for June, instead of August, as they were originally thinking.

There are a few reasons for bumping it up. First, Kimble's tricuspid valve isn't allowing for bloodflow through to the right ventricle. If there is a chance of surgically fixing it, or tweaking it in some way to allow for more function, then they want to do that sooner rather than later. The Surgeon's can't say whether his tricuspid valve is salvageable unless they actually go into his heart and look at it.

Secondly, if they can do something with the valve, they want to do it sooner, rather than later, so as to give it ample time to function before it came down to needing to do the Fontan surgery, which is the third stage of surgery originally planned for Kimble. If the tricuspid can work well enough, then he may not need that last surgery, and could have a better functioning right heart.

So, the plan is for Kimble to undergo the Glenn procedure, which is rerouting the superior vena cava directly to the pulmonary valve, so as the bloodflow goes directly into the lungs, as opposed to getting pumped back into the nonfunctioning right chambers of his heart. While he is having the Glenn, the surgeons will look at his tricuspid and see what, if anything, they can do.

Even though the tricuspid valve is very tiny and very difficult to perform surgery on, his doctors feel it's best to do something now, instead of waiting. The benefits to waiting are that the valve is bigger and easier to adjust. However, if it is possible to make that valve better, via surgery, then they want to do it sooner, so that there is enough time to let it function as it should. It's all about weighing the options, which with Kimble, seem too numerous at times.

His cleft lip surgery is still scheduled for May 4th, and probably the day before, we'll go into the hospital to undergo some CathLab procedures, in preparation for his heart surgery the following month.

As with any surgery or procedure in the hospital, I get really nervous, but his next heart surgery is what really causes me to lose my composure. For some reason, I feel that this surgery is going to be what takes my baby from me. That he won't survive it. It's something I've carried with me since I first learned about his three stage surgery plan. I know that I just need to turn to my Heavenly Father to receive comfort. I think it's the only way to receive peace about this.

12 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

I love you!! I don't think there is any thing else I can say to give you comfort.. I know you know Iam here for you but I am going to offer again if you need to talk you know my number. Give Kimble smooches from me..

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

I love you Shaina! I just want to hug you right now and kiss my fragile nephew. You all are always in my prayers.

Trinette McCrary said...

My heart, prayers, love are with you and your family.

purejoy said...

i can certainly understand your trepidation over the surgery. but you know that all of this is out of your hands as you give over control to our Father… kimble has the best surgeons and is in super good hands. it's so hard to let go… but sometimes we have to let go, let God, and by letting go, allow him to be healed.
easy for me to say!
wishing you all the best as you journey through these days. trust the Father. he knew kimble before the womb… and he loves him so very much.

runningfan said...

Oh, Shaina! This is scary stuff. Faith can replace the fear...you are doing the right things! I'll be praying for you, too.

Shavonne said...

Praying for you sister!!

Adri said...

Oh, Shaina! My heart is aching for you and the worries you carry. We'll continue to pray for Kimble, for you, for your family. Many kisses to that sweet, sweet boy.

Maynards said...

I wish I could take the concern and worry from you for a while. That is a lot to carry. Just know that all of us are constantly praying for Kimble and your family. You have a HUGE support group. Love you.

David and Jackie said...

Shaina, I am so sorry you are feeling. Kimble, you and your whole family are in my prayers.

dippyrooroo said...

I wish I had some magic words to calm your mind, but I think you are already doing the best possible thing, and that's turning to your Heavenly Father, and expanding your already amazing love for your family. I can hear evidence of both those things in almost every post. You are so deeply loved by so many people, because of the way that you can so honestly share of yourself. It's such a special gift.

Colleen said...

You break my heart! You and your dear sweet Kimble are in my prayers and thoughts and in the hands of our Father in Heaven who knows our needs. Love you!!!

Julie said...

Once again, add me to the long list of people praying for you and your family. If there is anything I can do to help, please give me a call!