Tuesday, May 18, 2010

2 Weeks Out


It's been two weeks since Mr. Kimble's cleft lip repair.  All in all, things are pretty much back to normal with his routine.  He breastfeeds with a passion.  He smiles and interacts with us.  He plays with his toys and watches the kids.  He is even showing a real interest in food.  Until his lip heals  more, I don't want to introduce a hard plastic spoon in his mouth, but I've been giving him bits of crackers, and he LOVES them.

The swelling has pretty much all but disappeared.  He still has a good chunk of the glue substance covering the area from his nose to his lip.  That will eventually dissolve away.  The only thing we are lacking still, is the binkie.  He loves loves loves to suck, and oh how I wish I could give him his binkie when I know that is what he is fussing about, but we have one more week until that can happen.  I have all but given up on his no-nos.  They never stayed on his arms and were more of a nuisance than anything else, because he always whacked his face with them.  Kimble doesn't try to scratch at his nose or lip.  Sometimes he accidentally bumps it, but he really keeps his own "hands off" approach.  His upper lip is still sore, and he cries hard when it gets bumped.  Sometimes, when I'm getting ready to nurse him, my hand accidentally bumps his lip as I'm trying to adjust my clothes and he's trying, in his eagerness, to nurse.  Oh how he cries.  Then, he shows a lot of hesitancy with starting to nurse again for a minute or two.  So sweet and tender.

Two weeks in...one week out.  Binkies...we think about you all the time!

6 comments:

runningfan said...

He's so adorable. I'm glad things are going well. So much for our park lunch, eh? Crazy weather...

purejoy said...

ohhhh he is scrumptious!! has he turned to his thumb at all? both my kids sucked their thumbs, and it wasn't much of a problem since they also had a lovie and only sucked when they had their lovie. my favorite part was not having to keep up with a pacie. the not so favorite part was having them suck their don't-know-where-it's-been thumb. oh well, it didn't kill them!
so glad he's healing well. he sure looks great!

LollyChops said...

He's looking pretty cuddly (and nicely healing)! Give that baby boy some kisses from me!

Maynards said...

One week left..the countdown is on! He has been a trooper!

edyB said...

Look at those eyes!!! and that sweet smile! You boy is a strong little guy!

Colleen said...

Boy oh boy, that boy is ADORABLE! We got some of those metal spoons with the rubber wrapper on the spoon part. Tommy loves to just chew on those even without food and they are nice and soft in his mouth.