Sunday, May 9, 2010

Being A Mom

I can honestly say that I am doing exactly what I wanted to do my whole life.  When I was younger, I couldn't wait to be a mom.  When I was graduating high school, I was asked "Now what are you going to do?"  I always replied "Get married and have kids".  I'm so happy that I've been able to do that.

I've been a mom now for 10 years.  I have five beautiful children (who look just like their dad).  It's the most rewarding job, the hardest job, the most stressful job, the most satisfying job, the most never-ending job, and the most touching job that I've ever had.

I struggle with making sure I spend enough time with my kids.  I want them to feel that they can come to me for anything.  I never want them to feel that I don't love them.  I want to raise them to be respectful, grateful, and secure.  I want to teach Kamy how to sew.  I want to teach Keaton how to cook over a campfire.  I want to teach Kolby how to ride a horse.  I want to teach Georgie how to braid hair.  I want to teach Kimble how to swim.  I want to teach my kids to love life; to be happy; to be honest; and to seek out knowledge.

I am a mom who does laundry everyday.  I wipe off noses and brush teeth and comb hair and wash hands.  I cook dinner; make lunches; limit sugary drinks; bake bread.  I fold clothes; flush toilets; wash hair.  I take pictures; document our life; pay bills; make doctor's appointments.    I wipe away tears; tickle bellies; stroke faces; give hugs and kisses. I snuggle. I giggle.

I am so blessed to be a mom.  For all of you mom's out there, I want to wish you all a very Happy Mother's Day.  Keep up the good work.  We have been trusted to raise the next generation.  What a great blessing for us.  I hope, on this day, you feel love and appreciation for all you do.

6 comments:

Adri said...

Lovely sentiments, Shaina! I'm so grateful YOUR example of motherhood is a part of my life.
We missed you in the 'baby row' at RS today. But, I'm sure Kimble won't miss having had chocolate milk spilled all over him, courtesy of crazy Davis. Only one month 'til NURSERY!!!

linda said...

Happy Mother's Day

Lindsey said...

I had that moment of realization. Of how hard motherhood is, but that it is the ONE thing I am meant to do. Thanks for sharing your thoughs.

Dan and Katie said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! You are an amazing mom! I was hoping to see you at church today...maybe next week?

Maynards said...

Missed you at church, but I hope you had a great Mother's Day. You are a wonderful mother and your family is very blessed because of you.

Colleen said...

Well said! It was fun texting you while I sat beside the scary chair all by myself on Sunday! Next time, just be in there with me!