Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chicken Pillows

A month or two ago....I lose track of time...my friend Heidi posted this recipe for chicken pillows on her blog.  They looked super yummy, so I decided to make them for my family.  Success!!  We all loved them so much, that as with other meals we love, we make it again and again and again...over and over and over...and then we go a few days...and then make it again.

If you are interested, Heidi posted great step by step instructions on how to put it all together, so you can check out her post if you want.  As always, my recipe version varies slightly.  There are infinite possibilities with this dish.  Make it your own.


Chicken Pillows
30 Rhodes rolls, just barely thawed
2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
8 oz cream cheese (1 bar), softened
1 stick of butter, melted
3 Tbsp dehydrated onions
1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
2 Tbsp dried parsley or dill (whatever you have)

Topping
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter (half a stick)

Thaw rolls at room temperature on a greased cookie sheet.  (I fit about six rows of four rolls on one cookie sheet) Combine chicken, cream cheese, butter, onions, and seasonings.  I prefer to add everything to my food processor for about 30 seconds, just because I like things nice and smooth.  Do what you want.)  In two separate small bowls, put melted butter in one, and your seasoned bread crumbs in another.

Take one roll and flatten and pull it out with your fingers until it's a circle, about 3 inches wide.  Scoop one tablespoon of the chicken mixture on your dough circle, and then bring up the sides of the dough up and together, pinching the dough around the mixture.  While holding the pinched side with your fingers, dip the top of the smooth side of the "pillow" into your melted butter, then dip it into bread crumbs.  Turn roll right side up, placing seam side down on your greased cookie sheet.  Continue with all of the rolls until you run out of filling.

Bake at 375 for about 25-30 minutes.

These are super delicious.  Give them a try!

5 comments:

runningfan said...

They really are delicious!

linda said...

Thank you for the recipe, I just added it to our menu for next week.

purejoy said...

yummmmoooo. and low fat, too (haha. not! but maybe i can make some adjustments)
they sound deeeeelish!! i'm going to have to give that a try!!
always looking for new recipes!

Jen Sue Wild said...

I haven't made thes in years my sister in law gave me a church resipe book years a go for christmas with this resipe. Maybe I will make them for dinner. tonight.

Breeeee! said...

My girls camp makes these every year and I have always wanted to learn to make them and know I can! thank you!