Friday, May 14, 2010

Mimi's Cafe Muffins

Did you know that you can go to Mimi's Cafe site and find some of their recipes?  Very cool.  I saw this recipe for their Buttermilk Spice Muffins and since I had me some buttermilk in the fridge already, I made them immediately.  They were delicious.

Buttermilk Spice Muffins
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
3 eggs
3/4 cup  + 1 TBSP buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour (I used wheat flour and it was delicious!)

Cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs.  Add buttermilk, baking soda, salt nutmeg and cinnamon.  Add in flour slowly, until everything is incorporated.  Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.  Top with sugar topping.

Topping
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix together and sprinkle evenly on top of each muffin.  Then, bake muffins at 375 for about 20-25 minutes.  Makes 12-15 muffins, depending on how full you fill your muffin cups.  (I posted the topping recipe cut in half.  When I made it like Mimi's cafe said to, I had half of the sugar topping leftover, and believe me, I put plenty on my muffins.)

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I love MIMI'S!!! I'm going to make these muffins soon! Thanks for the tip.

JaneV said...

these sound great and I'd love to make them, what weight is a stick of butter?

shaina said...

I'm sorry. One stick of butter is 1/2 a cup.

Dan and Katie said...

In my attempt to be a better wife and mother, I am going to make these. Maybe tomorrow morning :) Thanks for helping me this morning!!! I love it!

purejoy said...

mmmm i figure if i read this blog long enough, i'll gain another fifty pounds!
i happen to have some buttermilk in the fridge…
hmmmm.

kendra said...

they sound so good. too bad this house is banning dairy for a while. oh and nuts... maybe I could change it up for us... just wouldn't be the same... eat another one for me, will ya?!