Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Another "Corny" Recipe

Looking for another way to use up corn on the cob?  You'll need to try this dish.  It's a fettuccine dish that tastes sweet and smokey and really really good.  I think you'll like it.  It's from Rachael Ray.  (Sorry for the poor picture, but even if the food doesn't look appetizing from the picture, it was delicious.)

Summer Corn Fettuccine

1 lb box of fettuccine, cooked al dente
1/2 slab bacon
6 ears of fresh corn, shucked from cob
3 shallots, finely chopped (I didn't have shallots, but I used 1 medium onion and 2 garlic cloves)
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup half-&-half
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (I used 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
3 dashes of hot sauce (I used 3 shakes of cayenne pepper)
1  cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped

In a large skillet, cook bacon. Remove from pan, crumble, and set aside.  Remove some bacon grease from pan if there is too much, and  then saute3/4 of the corn kernels, the shallots (or onions and garlic), and the red bell pepper.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook about 5-6 minutes.

Add chicken stock and thyme.  Cook 2 minutes.

With remaining 1/4 of reserved corn, add it to your food processor, with the half-&-half, until smooth.  Add to your saute pan.  Cook for a few minutes over medium heat, until everything is heated through and thickening, stirring frequently.  Add hot sauce (or cayenne), basil, and Parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Drain pasta and pour into the sauce.  Add bacon.  Stir to combine and serve!  (Just a note, it wasn't even hot or spicy, so don't be afraid of the hot sauce or cayenne pepper)

1 comment:

J.C. said...

Hi Shaina! I just wanted you to know I tried Rachel Ray's Summer corn Fettuccine recipe today and it was a hit with my hubby! I am writing a post about it on my blog and I linked to your blog just to explain I got it from you. I used your basic directions that you wrote down too. I hope that is ok! If not, please let me know. Thanks again for the recipe and I plan on purchasing your cookbook next week. I am also planning on sending some blankets to you too! Take care! I hope the kids are doing well!
Blessings,
Johanna