Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Bike

In an effort to reshape my body and lose weight, I have dramatically changed my eating habits.  I haven't had "sugar" for over two weeks, meaning that I have refused all sweets (including chocolate!) and haven't had anything made with flour (freshly baked bread is a weakness for me).  I have been eating proteins, nuts, veggies, and fruits during the day, and I'll allow carbs at dinner with moderation.  Significantly reducing carbs is a  huge change in my diet, and I'm hoping I see huge results in return.

Somewhat stubbornly, I have begun exercising too.  This has always been an area of struggle for me. I absolutely hate to run.  Everyone says "Start running...you'll love it!".  I've been hearing that my whole life, and yet, I've always hated running.

However, I grew up having two wheels attached to my body.  I've always enjoyed biking.  So, The Husband got me a bike.  Call it a belated birthday gift, or motivational support for my weight loss goals.  Whatever you call it, I've got myself a brand new shiny bike.  He even bought me biking gloves.

Here I go! Wish me luck.

12 comments:

Mags said...

Growing up an athlete ruined running for m, Give me baskets, a goal or something to make running worthwhile. I am with you, biking is better. Have fun!!

Shere said...

Hey Shaina! A hearty good luck to you but being the superwoman that you are, you really don't need it. The blog looks great and it is good to see u guys doing so well there. Have a great day!!!!

Trinette McCrary said...

Sweet! We will have to go for a ride!

purejoy said...

i've been biking alot lately too. not so easy in the hot-as-hades hilly tennessee, but it beats running.
wishing you well on your weight loss journey. mine begins in the next week or so…

runningfan said...

Good luck to you!

Adri said...

I'm with you on the hating to run bit. Being grades-motivated (vs. health motivated), I even took running in college to try and force myself to like it. Still hate it.

Good luck with the biking. I think that sounds more fun, too!

Domestic Goddess said...

Good on ya for trying to make positive changes. It is hard but worth it.

Dan and Katie said...

Biker Chick Shaina

Jeff and Lori said...

Sounds fun! Let me know if you find a good place to ride. I've got some health goals of my own... :)

Maynards said...

Wow, you are amazing for giving up bread. There is NO WAY I could do that. Good luck with the biking. Sounds fun!

Megan said...

Yeah - I'm most impressed with the giving up bread and sweets - those are my weaknesses also. Matter of fact - I have rolls rising at the moment and thoughts of making cc cookies tonight. But in about 2 mo I've got to get back on the eating healthier bandwagon and change my eating habits and start exercising. Good luck on the bike - I love it better than running also.

Julie said...

I'm impressed, Shaina! I would have an awfully hard time giving up sweets and bread, although I am trying to lose some weight of my own, so I'm at least trying to be a little more controlled in how much I eat. I'm not a runner either. I'm still trying to find a type of exercise I enjoy enough to do on a regular basis...