Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lime Tartlets (Or Lemon)


I made these Lime Tartlets last weekend.  Oh my.  They were so good.  I actually made them from a Lemon Curd Tart Recipe that I've made, and loved.  I wanted to make it again, but was out of lemons, but I had a bunch of limes.  Also, I thought that little tarts would be more fun, than a big tart...and it was!  The kids all loved these rustic tarts.  I didn't spend time making them pretty, but it didn't matter, because they tasted so good!  Super yummy.  Another keeper!

So, here is the recipe for the Lemon Curd Tart, as instructed by Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa).  You know it's gotta be good, if it's one of her recipes!

Lemon Curd Tart

Tart Shell
1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature (12 TBSP)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup flour
Pinch of salt

Using a mixer, blend butter and sugar together until combined.  Add vanilla and salt.  Mix on low speed, slowly adding flour, until dough comes together.  Shape dough into a flat disk.  Press into a tart pan and shape, making sure finished edge is flat.  Chill until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Press aluminum foil against dough in tart pan.  Fill with dry beans or rice, to weigh it down, and bake for 20 minutes.  Then, remove beans (or rice) and aluminum foil, prick dough with a fork all around the edges and bottom, then bake for 20 minutes longer, until lightly browned.  Cool to room temperature.

Lemon Curd
4 lemons
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 stick butter (8 TBSP) at room temperature
4 lg eggs
1/8 tsp salt

Zest lemons with a microplanar zester.  Squeeze lemons until you get 1/2 cup of juice.  In your mixer, mix together sugar and zest.  Cream in the butter.  Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.  Add lemon juice and salt.  Mix until combined.

Pour mixture into a saucepan on the stove.  Over medium low heat, stir mixture until it thickens (about 10 minutes)  Do not boil.  Mixture should thicken over low heat.  When it thickens, remove from heat and allow to cool down.  Pour into your cooled tart crust, and refrigerate a few hours.  Then, serve!

I made some fresh whipped cream, to go on the top.

If you are interested in making the tartlets, I simply formed the dough using my mini muffin pan, around the bottoms and edges, after I greased it VERY well.  Then I baked it at 350 for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned.  At this point, I used a spoon to make indentions in each cup, since the dough rose up a bit while cooking.  No biggie.  Then, once it was cooled, I dropped a tablespoon of filling into each cup, and chilled them.  Once chilled, I used a knife to remove the tartlets from the pan, then I dolloped  them with some whipped cream.

If you prefer to make Lime Tartlets, just use Limes instead of Lemons!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Yum!

LollyChops said...

Oh I love the new family pic and the new look too Shaina!

...and these tartlets sound wonderful!