Monday, July 12, 2010

Mr. Kimble's Crib Set

Ok, so up until now, we have borrowed a crib from a friend.  However, we haven't used it. I have glorious ambitions to do so, but thus far, Kimble has slept with me, in my bed.  Those of you who are not pro co-sleeping can just ignore my choice to do so.  Anyway, Kimble eats and eats and eats all night long.  I'm not exaggerating.  If I am in any way going to be a functioning mom to five kids, then my baby co-sleeps with me.  Enough said about that.

I know the time will come when he won't need to eat all night. When that time comes, he will go in his crib.  Also, now is the time when he is having regular naps during the day.  He gets woken up too much, if those naps happen on the couch, or in our little crib in the family room.  So, it is time to get the crib ready for him!  At least, ready for his daytime naps!

Now, on to the reason for this blog post.  Last week, I made Mr. Kimble a crib set.  It was my very first time making a crib set. First time; last baby.  Poetic.  Anyway, I finished it last night.  I totally anticipate Mr. Kimble taking his morning nap in his crib.  Joyous!

I followed This Tutorial for making the crib bumper pads.  I followed This Tutorial for making the beautiful blanket.  I followed This Tutorial for making a crib sheet!  Tell me what you think!

Just a note to be said about the crib bumpers.  I had to cut the corners of the foam inserts, to make it fit the shape of the bumper pad.  It wasn't instructed that way, in the tutorial, but since the crib bumpers are rounded rectangles, and the foam pads are just rectangles, they need to be rounded out.

The crib blanket was very easy to make.  The only adjustment I made, was in adding a decorative strip of material along the edge, before I sewed on the ruffle.  I did this on both sides, the front and back, of the blanket.

Who says ruffles are only for girls??

This next picture shows the material I used for the back, the tiny green polkadot.  I used the big blue dot fabric as the decorative edge, on both the front and the back of the blanket.

This crib set makes me happy.  I hope it gets a lot of use.  Please tell me what you think!
Edited to add:  I bought the fabric at Joanns!!  It was along the wall of fabric that is always (most always) 30% off.

22 comments:

Heidi said...

WOW! I am in love with it. What an awesome job!

BrittanyLane said...

Oh goodness! So cute!! My poor babe is using our nasty, generic, yellow things that all my kids have used. Maybe I should give them a little makeover. Seriously, that fabric is to die for!

Jen Sue Wild said...

I think you did an amazeing job!! Love the fabric combos..

I guess we have the same tastes I have used all these fabrics to make baby giftys befor..

Michelle said...

You did a wonderful job!!!! The fabrics are beautiful, and Mr. Kimble looks happy in his crib. How is your little man doing after his surgery?
be blessed,
Michelle

Megan said...

I love how your crib set turned out. I hope Kimble enjoys it and gets lots of use out of it. I know that once I let go of nursing/co sleeping at night my kids slept much longer between feedings. I was the one that made it too easy with them next to me. But to each their own. I'm glad you're enjoying your 5th baby so much. I can't wait to meet mine :)

Burns Family said...

I love it. You have a gift for matching fabrics. I really, really, like it.

Maynards said...

You are so awesome! It is absolutely adorable. Kimble looks so happy in it.

Sandy said...

Really cute!! Nice job. I also love the new look of your blog.

Jennifer Magreevy said...

I'm so jealous of your sewing abilities...I can't sew ANYTHING. I'm thinking of taking a class just so I can sew something. :) And I think this crib set is just fantastic! Absolutely beautiful, I love that you did it yourself and its completely unique!

runningfan said...

Adorable fabrics. It's also poetic that the week you make the crib set, we ask for our crib back! :( Sorry...

dippyrooroo said...

A-Maze-Ing! Love it!

Julie said...

I love it! I'm sure Kimble will love it too. We just moved Adam into his crib last week (but not with a cool, homemade crib set). I wasn't terribly excited about him leaving my side at night, but he has actually done great and it is nice to be able to be in our room in the evenings with the lights on!

You are so talented!

Kim said...

It looks awesome. Love the pattern and colors.

Renny's little things said...

Awesome job!! I bet Mr Kimble will be wanting to nap all the time in his comfy boy bed. As for co sleeping I think do whats right for you and personally who would want to cuddle with such a beautiful man all night?? if I get to cuddle with my little Isaac normally 4 year old Rhiannon is on the other side fighting me for him!!!!
Your bumpers and blankie are beautiful just like you.
XXX
Geniene in Aus

Dan and Katie said...

So cute! You are so creative and have a great eye for style!

Jeff and Lori said...

I'm consistently impressed with your sense of style and your ability to find such cute fabric combos! I look and look, but it's a rarity for me to score like that. :) That is a crib set any baby could be proud of. Utterly adorable and Kimble is the perfect accessory!

purejoy said...

love his nursery set! where do you buy your fabric? you always have the best fabric!

Heidi said...

Wow, I think you are uber talented!!! So adorable! :)

Colleen said...

It looks great, Shaina! So impressive. That Kimble sure has a stylin' crib set. And I am all for co-sleeping, one nursing mother to the next.

Ande said...

I love the set, the colors are perfect!!!!!! Good job. I co slept with all 4 of my kids, nothing wrong with it at all!!!!

Trisha B said...

Just found your blog from the crib bumper pattern website... a friend of mine has asked me to make her bumper and threw in today, "Oh, can you add cording to it?" ACK!

I feel better having seen yours and not heard that it was a horror!

It's beautiful!

Kayla said...

I am making a crib set for the first time and I keep looking at your pictures. :) I really like it! Also, when I went to JoAnn's I saw the same fabric and almost chose the same stuff...that's how much I liked it. I will have to post my final selection and a link to my blog so you can see it when it's all done.