Wednesday, August 4, 2010

9 Months Old!

My sweet little baby is 9 months old today!  In nine months, he has spent almost two months of it in the hospital.  He has had three open heart surgeries, one cleft lip surgery, and about half a dozen Cath Lab procedures.  He still takes two medications daily.  It has been six weeks since his last heart surgery, and we can now lift him under the arms, and give him baths again.

Kimble has made huge leaps and bounds, in terms of developmental milestones, in the past few weeks.    He can now sit up on his own, although still falls backwards a lot.  He can roll all over the place.  He has even started eating food!  I love this next picture of Kimble.  He looks like a bruiser in it, which is so totally unlike him.

Kimble is sweet and adoring and is absolutely content to sit and watch people.  He loves to be loved.  He lives for receiving smiles.  He is a very beautiful and happy baby.


Kimble has two bottom teeth.  He loves to bite his toys, and my fingers, but he has never bitten me while nursing.  For that, I am super thankful, and hope I'm not jinxing it by mentioning it.

Kimble's chest scar has healed nicely.  It will fade with time.  The same is true for his cleft lip scar.  It, too, will fade.


Kimble loves to be on the ground, playing with his toys.  He can play for hours, if he's not hungry or tired.


Then, when he's tired, he tends to fall asleep where he is.  I always feel bad, when I find him sleeping on the ground.  It just seems like I've ignored him, but it's not true.  He'll be playing one minute, and asleep the next.


Then, sometimes I walk in the room, and think he's sleeping...but he's not!

He is so cute. Sometimes I just can't stand how adorable he is!  And now, time for some HUGE news.  Kimble, who has always pursed his lips and absolutely refused baby food, is now eating.  He totally skipped over the baby food, and went straight to table food.  It's more yummy anyway, right?  His first food he accepted, via my finger, was mashed potatoes.  He gobbled them up.  For a few weeks, that is the only thing he would eat.
Oh, but then, I decided to offer him other things.  He ate potatoes and green beans and meatloaf one night.  I was shocked.  He absolutely loved it, and kept leaning in for more.  This, I also fed him with my fingertips.

Then, the next night, we had spaghetti casserole (recipe in my cookbook) and I thought I would try feeding it to him, too.  Oh.My.Goodness.  He loved it so much, that he even allowed me to give it to him on a spoon!!


Kimble also picks up puffs and cheerios and crackers, and eats them all by himself.

Like I said, he has made leaps and bounds, developmentally, these past few weeks.  I am so amazed at the progress he has made.  Kimble also takes naps in his crib.  He goes between 1 and 2 naps a day, depending on how early he woke up that day.  He still eats at least four times a night, but sometimes more.  He still sleeps right next to me, too.

Kimble is doing so great.  He is strong and healthy and happy and I couldn't ask for a sweeter baby.

14 comments:

Jed and Kera said...

oh! HAPPY 3/4 BIRTHDAY KIMBLE! It's so fantastic to hear all the things that he is doing now! Good Job Kimble! He is such an example of what faith in Heavenly Father can do! :O)

Eric's Mommy said...

HAHA! He looks so tough in that first picture, so cute!!

LollyChops said...

What a total ham! I could eat those baby cheeks up!!!!!

Carol said...

Wonderful!! Happy 9 months birthday Mr. Kimble!! :)

runningfan said...

What a fantastic report. Congrats!

The Cushing Family said...

What a little trooper! I can't believe all that he has been through. (And all thet you have been through as a mother!) It is so fun to see his growth and progress. You must feel so proud. He is such a cutie!

Reynolds Family said...

Okay, he really is just too adorable!

Heath said...

Happy Birthday Son. I love you so very much.

Renny's little things said...

Hey Shiana, Heath and all the little beauties...
Happy 9 month day to Kimble and you all. It is so wonderful that Kimble is doing so great. That first pic is my fav he is so cute.
You all should be so proud of yourselves after all that has happened before long i bet Mr. Kimble will be off and running that will keep all of you busy
Take care
Geniene (Canberra Australia)

Colleen said...

I love the falling asleep bit! Love that Kimble! And hooray for solid foods and no biting. Tommy's about to pop a tooth and I'm a little nervous.... Way to go Kimble Boy! 9 Months, HOORAY!

Ande said...

yeah!! I am so glad to hear that he is doing well. I love his little man picture. Elyse hated baby food and went straight to solids too, fine with me, less of that expensive stuff to buy. :) Nice chatting with you today!

young said...

oh my gosh! I love the falling asleep pics. Wish my boy would do that on his own.

purejoy said...

oh i just love that first picture. such a bubba!!!
whattaya know, kimble's not going to be the only kid to nurse. only nurse. for.ev.er.
he went right to table food!! once he tasted your good cookin, there was no turning back.

200 followers… you rock, girl!!

Maynards said...

Oh man, he is too cute! Love the pictures.