Sunday, August 15, 2010

Explanation

So, that last post was about Mr. Kimble taking a bottle. That was no ordinary day! Kimble has refused bottling up 'til now. When he was first born, he had to take a bottle of my breastmilk for a few days, until he was strong enough to nurse. However, that was the only time he took a bottle. He has been exclusively breastfeeding since then.


I've always counted my blessings, that I could nurse Kimble. I've never NOT wanted to. In fact, it was the one thing I prayed for, when I found out about Kimble's heart defects, and his cleft lip. I just wanted to be able to breastfeed my baby. Thank goodness, that's the only think Kimble wanted as well!

However, now Kimble is 9 months old. He has still refused to take a bottle (or sippy cup) and I was beginning to joke that I'd be nursing Kimble for the rest of his life. So I've been trying to introduce a bottle to him. I tried a few different times (hungry, just woke up, ready for bed, happy times) and I've tried a few different liquids (breastmilk, juice, water).

Last night, the stars aligned. He drank juice! Oh, and he didn't just tolerate it in his mouth for a few seconds. He actually held on to it, brought it to his mouth, took it out, put it back in again, and actually drank it!!

So, I'm not jumping the gun or anything, but having Kimble have a secondary source of liquid intake gives me a bit more freedom than I had. We can now think about weaning (when he is a year old) and letting him drink juice during the day, and even possibly drinking some of my huge supply of frozen breastmilk, thus allowing me and The Husband an actual date night out.

This was a huge milestone, in Kimble's life. We were all doing the happy dance last night.

2 comments:

Julia said...

This is a big milestone. I am so happy for you. I hope no one was mean about you wanting him to take a bottle. It is what you need him to do right now at this time and he did it! Yea!!!

Maynards said...

I would love to see that happy dance! I am doing one right along with you. Go Kimble! I hope this continues to only get better from here.