Thursday, August 26, 2010

Once Again, Enchiladas!

As I sit here this morning, eating last night's leftovers for breakfast (I'm not a cereal and milk kinda girl), I think I have to admit that I really really love Chicken Enchiladas.  If it starts, or ends, with that name, I'm hooked.  Just look at the evidence.  We have some fabulous Chicken Enchiladas, done the traditional way.  Then there is the Chicken Enchilada Dip, which if you haven't tried, you haven't fully lived.  The Chicken Enchilada Soup was amazing; same flavor, just in a soup form.  I even have an enchilada one dish pasta skillet recipe that I've made and haven't posted yet.

Now I bring you another Enchilada recipe.  This one still boasts some amazing flavors, but caters towards those who don't really like, or can't digest, the red sauce.  I bring you White Chicken Enchiladas.  Yum.

A few months ago, after one of Kimble's surgeries, my friend Lori brought us dinner.  I'm sure it was just a coincidence that she brought an enchilada fan a pan of enchiladas, but nevertheless, the whole pan was eaten...and I shared some with the family too.  Then, a few months later, she emailed out the recipe to a group of us who were doing freezer meals, and I asked her if this was the recipe of the enchiladas she brought us that one night. She confirmed.  Yes!  I could now make it myself.  I love friends who share recipes.

So, last night I made these fabulous enchiladas.  Just like with any recipe, I have a serious problem sticking to the exact recipe.  I just can't help but change things up.  So I changed this recipe a little bit, while still holding true to the integrity of the dish.  I hope you are ready for another amazing chicken enchiladas.  You really must try this! I've added instructions for the "low fat" version, but feel free to fatten things up if you want.
White Chicken Enchiladas

1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp oil or butter
1/4 cup slivered almonds

1 4 oz can diced green chiles, divided

1/2 pk cream cheese (reduced fat), softened
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp cumin
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
corn tortillas (I used about 30, but my tortillas are small.  Flour tortillas would require less, because they are bigger.)

Sauce
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup (reduced fat)
1 cup sour cream (light or fat-free)
1 cup skim milk

Topping
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp slivered almonds

Cook your chicken how you like, seasoned lightly, and then diced up.  I LOVE to throw the chicken in the food processor so it's shredded.  It makes the filling more consistent and smooth.  So that's what I did.

In a pan, saute your onions with the oil until they are translucent, about 7 minutes.  Add in your slivered almonds and toast for a minute or two.  Stir in 1 Tbsp of the green chiles and cook for one more minute. (The Husband requested more oomph, so next time I make this, I'll add in one diced jalapeno at this point.)

Pour onion mixture in a bowl, and add to that your softened cream cheese, 1 Tbsp of milk, and the cumin.  Stir to combine, then stir in your shredded chicken.

Now, here is where I changed the recipe up a bit.  I love corn tortillas, and use them more frequently than flour tortillas.  I get mine at costco, a big stack of them, for just a few bucks.  They are smaller than the flour tortillas, about the size of my stretched out hand, but I LOVE the flavor of them.  Anyway, these tortillas are great, but they tend to be difficult to roll without them breaking on you. So, I soften them in a little frying pan, with olive oil.  Enough to heat them through and make them pliable.  (If you choose to use flour tortillas, you can skip this step.  It still tastes great, but with an enchilada, I tend to prefer corn tortillas.  But, when you make it, it becomes your recipe, and your choice.)

Fill your tortillas with a few spoonfulls of the chicken mixture.  Depending on what tortilla you use determines the amount. For my small tortillas, I used about 2 Tbsp of mixture, then I rolled it up and placed it seam side down on a baking sheet.  Fill all tortillas in the same manner.

In a small bowl, combine your can of soup, cup of sour cream, and cup of milk together until it's mixed well.  (When I was first reading the ingredients, I read it wrong, and added 1 pkg of cream cheese, in place of the sour cream.  I must say, it was delicious, and I think I'll make it this way from now on.  If you are like me, you'll want to substitute it the same way.)  Once mixed, pour evenly over your enchiladas.

Bake enchiladas at 350 for about 30 minutes, until edges get slightly light brown.  Then, top enchiladas with shredded cheddar cheese and sprinkle with remaining slivered almonds.  Let cook for an additional five minutes, then serve!  Once again, my whole family LOVED these.  Long Live Enchiladas!

5 comments:

runningfan said...

I'll have to check, but I think I have all the ingredients for this one. You might have just planned dinner for me!

Jen Sue Wild said...

I have not had this since Robbie was born, My friend brought it over and we loved it. I think I made it once or twice but never made it agin. I will have to try it out again..

Maynards said...

YUMMY! Mary loves enchalidas as well. We all do. Thanks for the recipe.
I made chicken pillows last night and it really made me miss you. You made those for us the last time I saw you. I didn't realize it would be the very last time I would see you, or else I would have given you an awkward hug and all of the fun stuff. ;)

Shannon said...

I made this tonight for dinner and it was yummy! I used cream of mushroom soup instead, since I prefer that flavor. Next time I'm going to try using the filling with a yummy red enchilada sauce. Thanks for the recipe!

I'm Always Rite said...

Is this in your cookbook? I'll have to check... If not... will you put it in the next one? When can we expect the next one??? ;]