Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wow!

Seriously.  "Wow" was all I could say after I took my first bite of this soup last night.  "Newman!" was what I said this morning, when I discovered that the very last cup of soup that I had saved, was eaten by The Husband during his midnight snack run to the kitchen last night.

This soup is rich and creamy and seasoned perfectly.  It's simple but hearty.  It's cozy and comforting.  It's delicious and amazing.  I strongly suggest that you make this on your next blustery fall day.  It will bring you joy, and I'll place bets that the first word out of your mouth, will be "wow" as well.

I found this Cream Cheese Chicken Soup HERE.  I thought ham sounded better, for this kind of soup, so I changed it up a bit, but feel free to use the original recipe.  Either way, it's a winner.  This could also be a great vegetarian soup, if that's your groove.

So here is the way I made it.

Cream Cheese Ham & Potato Soup

2-3 Tbsp oil or butter
1 onion, diced
3 good size potatoes, peeled and chopped bite-size
1 cup carrots, diced
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
1-2 cups chopped ham (I used a turkey ham...Jenny-O)

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened (feel free to use the low fat option, with no difference in flavor)

Add onions and oil to your soup pot over medium high heat, cooking onions until translucent, about 7 minutes.  Add potatoes and carrots to your pot.  Cook together for a few minutes just to blend all the flavors.  Pour in your chicken broth and salt and pepper.  If veggies aren't completely covered by the broth, add more until covered.  Bring to a boil, then turn on low and let it softly boil for about 10 minutes.  Add in your chopped ham and cook a few minutes longer.

After you add the ham, in a separate small pot, over medium heat, melt your butter and flour together, stirring, until it turns a nice amber shade of color.  Add in your milk and stir together.  Add in your cream cheese.  Stir until thoroughly combined and mixture is thick.   Once your potatoes are nicely cooked through, add the cream cheese mixture directly to your soup mixture.  Stir to combine.  Soup will become deliciously thick and creamy.  Now, taste.  It should be pretty much perfect.  Add additional salt and pepper if desired.

I served this soup with THESE ROLLS from Our Best Bites.  The recipe was so perfect, that I didn't tweak it at all.  It made a big pan of rolls, so if you have a smaller family, I suggest you half the recipe.  It's been a while since I made white rolls, and these were so super yummy.

Oh, and EVERYONE in my family loved it, including Kimble, who kept opening his mouth for more, even when I wasn't bringing the spoon to his mouth at that moment, and Kolby, who has recently decided he doesn't like to eat anything but tacos and peanut butter sandwiches.

4 comments:

Jennifer Magreevy said...

You're going to have to come out with a volume 2 of your recipe book... too many awesome recipes that you keep sharing on here! :)

Ande said...

ohhh, that looks yummy!!!

linda said...

It looks really yummy. I am adding this to the menu, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kati said...

Oh my, I made this soup last night and it was so good! and so easy! Love it!