Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blanket Drive Deadline!

The blanket drive for The Denver Children's Hospital is in full swing!  I get more and more excited about it everytime I get another blanket donation.

Last week, I received two packages in the mail.  One came from Ande in Japan, and another came from Ali in Pennsylvania, with a total of 13 blankets to add to our count!

I have four blankets in my sewing room that I still need to top sew, and then they will be done. More blankets were sent from my friend Jen in Washington that are at a friends house, waiting to be picked up.  I know I have a few sisters that have also been working hard to make blankets for this wonderful cause.  I also have many more friends who have embraced this cause, and are still working on making blankets.

The people at my husband's work have collected blankets too!

In June, 55 fleece blankets were tied by girls ages 8-11, during an area-wide church activity.  I haven't collected those blankets either, but I saw them, and it was a lot of work!

Yesterday, during another area-wide church meeting, many women brought blankets to donate. The total number of blankets I collected last night were 80!!


Julie and Teresa are busy in Denver, collecting blankets as well. They are also bringing in blankets by the armful.

As of right now, I can't tell you what the total number of blankets donated is, but we have surpassed our initial goal of 300 blankets.  The Hospital told us they could use 300 blankets a week, for their patients.  Our goal was to make sure that every single patient at the hospital, the first week in November, has a blanket to wrap themselves up in.  Thank you for helping us with this goal.

I hope that we will have enough blankets to give out during the whole month of November.  So if you have blankets that you haven't sent me yet, PLEASE get them to me!  We have just ONE MONTH left until we donate all the blankets.

Email me for an address to send your blankets to.  kamyrensmiles (@) hotmail (dot) com  We appreciate it so much. This project means so much to us, and so much to the patients at the hospital who are experiencing things beyond what most of us can truly understand.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I can't wait to hear the final count. This is so awesome and to see the outpouring of donations...incredible! I've got 2 I'm working on. I promise to have them finished by the deadline. <3

Shavonne said...

that's awesome!!

Domestic Goddess said...

I am constantly amazed by you. What a woman!

runningfan said...

In your picture, the fleece ones towards the bottom came from Cordera Ward. I worked on a yellow one and a maroon/southwest patterned one. I told everyone at the table about sweet Kimble -- both on the service day and at the broadcast dinner. You have an incredible story -- and a bigger heart!

mickey said...

This is really awesome! Thank you for doing what you do!