Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Decluttering and Whatnot

For the past  few weeks, I've been on a cleaning/purging binge.  I no longer want to hang onto stuff that I won't need anymore. I sorted through all my baby clothes (sniff) and gave away big bags of stuff to local friends who are having babies.  I returned things I borrowed from friends, like bassinets and high chairs and bouncy seats, and gave away more baby things, like baby baths and breast pumps. 

I also went through the kids' toy area and bedrooms, and sorted stuff to be donated, and stuff to give to friends, and stuff to throw away.  Oh, I absolutely LOVE decluttering!  I'm not nearly done, but I've made huge progress.  It's lit a fire under me, I tell ya!

So yesterday, when The Husband was itching to enjoy the beautiful Labor Day Holiday, and go biking or hiking or exploring...all I wanted to do was clean and reorganize.  So he took turns taking kids out for mini-adventures as I tackled the girl's room. 

Their  room is in our (unfinished) basement, and doubles as the toy room.  Not surprisingly, it gets messy pretty quickly.  I often spend hours cleaning it (after I've had the kids clean it) only to find it so beyond messy the next day.  This tells me that things are not organized, and that we have too much for them to manage.   So, I pulled out my garbage bags and set to work.  I went through every little basket, every nook and cranny, every compartment and every hiding place, and cleaned it all.  It was wonderful.  I actually enjoy organizing like this.  It makes me happy.  I NEED to have a specific place for specific toys.  I am not a "throw it all together" type of cleaner.  No way.

I found about two dozen pairs of socks, dirty and crammed in places.  I found about one dozen cups.  I found gloves and glasses and ties and shoes and everything else the kids haven't been able to find forever.  Gee, I wonder how they got shoved in with the toy baskets?

Anyway, I'm rambling.  Suffice it to say that everything is lovely and perfect and I have every intention of keeping it this way.  The kids cannot play with any toys for the time being.  I know. Such a meanie I am.  It's not a beautiful room.  It's not decorated or painted or matching...but it's clean and organized!


When I was putting away all the little toys, I have one container that is stuffed full of "little figurine toys", and as it was getting fuller and fuller, I imagined a scene from Toy Story, when all the toys cheered as another toy found it's way "home".  I saw how they were "thrown together" and I couldn't help but imagine difference scenes taking place.  For instance, I'm sure Yoda was happily protecting his flock....

...I imagined Chewbacca fighting with Zurg.  Wonder who will win that fight?

...or the  fact that Elmo is happy to welcome anyone in, even people from The Republic who have extremely large hands.

...and obviously Tinkerbell is a bit annoyed that somebody sat on her wing.

I managed to throw away two bags of broken toys and trash that had accumulated, and sent one bag of toys off to goodwill.   I have many more rooms to tackle, in the same manner.  I just need more time!

10 comments:

purejoy said...

oy! such an inspiration!! and i love how you took time to photograph the journey. looks all neat and tidy now!

giving away baby clothes?? what? no more?

mamaduck said...

I love doing the same thing! Our girls, likewise, are in the basement. I pulled three bags of toys from their loot and into the yard sale pile it goes.

Jen said...

Ah I love to organize and purge. My husband knows he better claim it or I will sell or donate it. I can't wait to get rid of the baby stuff that has been taking up space for so many years.

runningfan said...

great minds think alike!

Michelle said...

De-cluttering must be in the air. That is what I have been doing for the past few weeks. I agree with you...it feels GREAT!

Maynards said...

The girls room looks great! I am the same way..after spending hours cleaning stuff, the kids don't get to play with it for a while. Number one, to teach them a lesson, and number two, it seems so unfair to have hours of hard work destroyed in 10 minutes.

Burns Family said...

A girl after my own heart. I love a clean, organized house. Now if I could have as much fun as you do, while doing it!!

Jennifer Magreevy said...

There is a blog that I've been stalking lately called "Clean Mama", and she is my complete idol. She has tons of printables (in her Etsy shop) for organization, meal planning, etc. Check it out!! cleanmama.blogspot.com

Colleen said...

Chewy. Definitely! Nice work on the decluttering. The room looks fab.

I'm Always Rite said...

Looks fantastic! I'm the same way. If I have to clean up the kids' rooms they don't get to enjoy until I've calmed down from the cleaning... Usually a week or so. :]
PS I love that you personify toys too! ;}