Friday, September 10, 2010

Losin' My Marbles

I bought Kolby this great Marble Maze Tower for his birthday, thinking he'd have a blast putting it together.  Instead, it sat, unnopened, for two weeks.  I thought about returning it, but instead, I decided it would make a great afternoon of family fun and  togetherness.

So on Monday, when all the kids were home on Labor Day, and wanting to plant themselves in front of the tv, I told them all to gather 'round the table to put together the Marble Maze Tower.

Moans.  Complaints.  Distractions. 

I was ignored.

Kids disappeared.

Soon, it was just me, sitting at the table, with instructions in hand, trying to figure out how to build this tower.

It took hours.

When it was finally done, I called everyone to gather round the table for the "maiden voyage" of the marbles.

The kids watched...for about 12 seconds.  Then left.

Once again, I was deserted.  I sighed, and looked around, then was happily surprised!  I had an audience.  An audience of one.

Georgie was thrilled with the Marble Tower, and watched the marbles go through the maze again and again.
Thanks Georgie, for humoring me.  Without you, I might have just lost my marbles, seeing all the hard work go unappreciated.

7 comments:

Julia said...

That looks like so much fun. I would have been right there with you and Georgie! By the way, she's a doll!

Queen of Chaos said...

LOL! The joys of being a mom. Sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be. haha

You're a great mom! I would have given up.

Carol said...

You're not alone... that happens to me with my girls and projects, too!!! (I think it looks like a lot of fun, well done!!!)

Adri said...

I can't believe they didn't love it! Our marble maze has been one of our most-used toys, and it isn't nearly as cool as this one.

Colleen said...

I'm surprised they didn't like it too! But so glad it was a hit with George. We saw this at Costco (or maybe one like it) and Josh was desperate for it, but maybe we'll hold off. It looks pretty complicated for a six year old to put together and I am sure, like you, that I'd be the one doing it!

I'm Always Rite said...

I hate it when I think I've gotten the kids something I'm sure they will absolutely dig only to be disappointed like this! I'm glad you have George there to humor you! ;]

Maynards said...

That thing looks like a blast! If I were there, I would come play it with you. Kudos to you for building it. That is on the Christmas list for Sam, but maybe one a little more simple. Glad Georgie appreciated it.