Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Stocking The Freezer

Freezer jam.  Strawberry freezer jam.  Why haven't I ever made this before?


It was absolutely delicious, and so easy!  You get a package of pectin, made specifically for freezer jam.  Add in your strawberries, mashed up in the food processor, the pectin and some sugar. Stir for a few minutes, then pour into your freezer-safe containers.  That's it!  The directions are on the package of pectin.  You can do the same for all manner of fruits.


I would really love to get some huckleberries, to make jam and ice cream topping.  If you've never heard of huckleberries, they grow in the Washington/Idaho/Montana region and are pretty much the best thing to have on ice cream. period.  Amazing amazing amazing.  Unfortunately for me, you can't find huckleberries in Colorado.

5 comments:

Dan and Katie said...

Dan LOVES huckleberries! He talks about them all the time :)

Colleen said...

Isn't it delicious? And so pretty!

runningfan said...

Freezer jam and homemade bread are hallmarks of my childhood. I'm drooling! So glad you've discovered such a delicious combo.

Ande said...

looks yummy!!! i miss making all of that stuff. very expensive here. Costs less to just but the stuff already made.

Shannon said...

Strawberry freezer jam is like gold in our house! I missed the strawberries in the spring , but I see some fall berries rolling around here and there. You just helped me recommit to stocking my freezer for the winter! YUM!