Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cautiously Optimistic

"Cautiously Optimistic."  That's what Kimble's Cardiologist said about three times during today's followup.  Normally, he says he is just plain "optimistic" about Kimble, but today, he included the word "cautiously".  Although he says Kimble's right ventricle seems to be growing (ever so slightly) and that his pulmonary artery is showing more "pulses" (meaning more blood flow is going through it), he still seemed, well, cautious.

For now, Kimble is doing great. He really is.  However, it's not a lifelong adjective to describe him.  It could change, and it could change drastically.

Kimble is high risk for RSV and other bronchial problems.  We need to be cautious with him this winter, as illnesses abound. 

Besides all this, Kimble is responding well to the rerouting of his heart.  His pulse/oxygen saturation is at a high 97%.  He is growing and moving and eating and responding well to every developmental challenge he faces.  He is doing well for now, even if we have to be "cautiously optimistic" about what the future holds.

8 comments:

Jen Sue Wild said...

I love this little boy I cant wait untill I get to hold him again. He trully is a blessing.. You are so Lucky to have him.

Megan said...

He's so cute in all your pictures I forget that he has a problem at all. I hope the dr. will always be able to say "optimistic" at all Kimball's appts.

Carol said...

I wish they could phrase things differently!! So glad he is thriving now and hope it continues for many, many years!!!

Sharon said...

Oh kimble! I just love him!

Heath said...

I love you my little Son

runningfan said...

What a great picture! At least the doctor still used the word "optimistic" !

Jen said...

yay Kimble! It is so nice to watch him thrive. I pray for a nice healthy winter season for your family so the icky RSV stays away.

kendra said...

I can imagine how you must worry about him. He seems like a super-strong, super-happy baby!

good luck on the houses. Exciting.

and oh, Girls Night. How fun!