Friday, October 29, 2010

Pomegranates!

Yesterday I told Georgie to get dressed so that we could go to the store.  This is the result of her efforts.   Hmmm.  Doesn't quite endorse Mother of the Year, now does it?  As a compromise, we put on a skirt over her shorts, and she looked better.

We were on our way to get some pomegranates.  I saw This Recipe at least nine months ago, and have been waiting until there were pomegranates at the store, so that I could make it, and you know what?  It was worth the wait.  I have fond childhood memories of eating pomegranate seeds with my sister, as we sat on the fence overlooking the pig pen.  Pomegranate seeds are extremely flavorful and tart, and they burst in your mouth when you eat them.  They are also very good for you...here are 11 reasons why they are good for you.  So go get some, and make this delicious dish!


Pomegranate and Strawberry Dessert

1 cup Pomegranate juice
2 cups  half & half
1 lb pkg fresh strawberries, hulled
1/4 cup OJ concentrate
1/2 cup sour cream
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
4 fresh mint leaves, chopped

Mix everything in a blender until it is thoroughly processed.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving.  Pour into small bowls, garnish with a mint leaf and pomegranate arils, and serve as a chilled soup.

NOTE:  If you go to the site where I got the Original Recipe, she shows a great video that helps you "de-seed" your pomegranate.  Also, I bought a small (2 cup) container of pomegranate juice (POM) found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store, where the other juices are.  I found that was much easier than trying to juice the pomegranate.  Plus, I didn't buy enough pomegranates to get enough juice from.  That being said, you can make this any time of year, by using the POM juice, as long as you don't mind the lack of arils to garnish.
I made a double batch, and put half of it in the freezer to have as ice cream!  Alternatively, you can simply add a cup of ice to your blender, and make a smoothie out of it!  There are many ways to serve this dish, and any way you do, it comes out a winner.

7 comments:

kdaygirl said...

I am glad you have fond memories of eating pomegranates, because I dont! Whenever we would ask mom for a snack that was what she would let us have. I think she must have been given boxes full of them that summer. I never buy them and if I see them in the store I gag a little.
I am sure others will find this delicious and refreshing.
I on the other hand am gonna make some cranberry choc chip cookies cause cranberries are in season again! Yea!

runningfan said...

My in-laws have a pomegranate tree. The juice is kind of a delicacy in Nevada where they live, and they came home one day to find people stealing pomegranates from their tree! We have some priceless video of Zach at about two years old, sitting in the kitchen sink and helping his grandma shell the pomegranates for a salad. I can still hear Zach saying, in his cute two-year-old voice, "Mating pomedwanite sawid!"

Jen Sue Wild said...

I love miss Kennedy.. When I get there I willgive her a few fashion tips. LOL

mickey said...

I have fond memories of my two daughter's unique outfits and the disapproving old biddies' looks as we walked! In public! Dressed like that!
Too fun!

Trinette McCrary said...

We love pomegranates in this house too! I was so excited last week when king soopers finally had them for a dollar. Brings back childhood memories for me... the recipe looks yummy!

Mandy said...

Looks fabulous, thanks for sharing this. You did a great job!! We've been making batches at our house, too.:)
GREAT NEWS! You won one of my blog giveaways and not because you actually make my recipes.;) Check your email for details.
-Mandy

Jeff and Lori said...

yay! I bought a pomegranate with no idea what to do with it, except pick out the seeds one by one. Thanks!!