Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Scoop

We went about finding our house a bit out of the ordinary.  As I mentioned before, we were driving through neighborhoods, much dejected, and feeling the lateness of the hour, so to speak.  In other words, we were at the end of all available houses, and were pretty much convinced that we would have to wait until spring to find a house.  It was getting hard to accept this,  because we really felt that NOW was the time to move.

Anyway, as I was waiting for The Husband to catch up (we were driving two vehicles...me with all the kids in the van, and Heath casually driving along behind, having come from work) I pulled to a stop just to the side of this house that we had previously seen in our prior exploration.  It was obviously vacant and had a big dumpster in the driveway which signaled to us that it was being renovated.  When Heath caught up, I started driving again.  A few blocks later, he told me to drive back to that house so that we could find out more info about it.

I drove back, and we saw that there was someone inside working on it.  Keep in mind, this house was not listed for sale. It gave no indication that it was up for sale, or would be.  We just hoped that it was in the process of renovation, and would be listed soon.  Anyway, Heath talked with the worker inside, who spoke very little English but was very friendly.  He gave us the owner's name and number.   We called.  He said he could meet us at the house in an hour.

He came down, and walked us through the house.  During our conversation, we were open with him, and told him what we were approved for, and that we could go no higher.  We talked about our family size, and that it had been difficult thus far, to find something that fit our needs.  We told him that we had just come from a house that we had wanted to offer on, but discovered that it was already taken.  We told him when we wanted to buy a house, and that we were serious buyers.

He liked us.  He wanted to work with us.  Since he was still in renovation (the house had no flooring, bathroom fixtures or bathtubs or toilets...no kitchen cupboards or appliances or counter tops...) he could make some changes so that the ultimate result would both fit in with our price range, and still give him a (tiny bit) profit.  Basically, he believes in Karma.  He wants to help us.  We were more than willing to let him do so.

So, the next week, we had another walk-through with our Realtors (his and ours) and we discussed everything about the house that we expected, and everything that would be done to it.  Coming to an agreement, we put in an offer the next day.  It was immediately approved.

We bought a house that isn't even complete (but will be) and wasn't even listed (and won't be) and it was in our price range, in an area that we decided was right for us to be.  It must be a good thing.

Other good things:  It comes with a pool table in the basement.  Fun.  We also get to pick out our carpet and counter tops.  Yay!  Oh, and it's SUPER close to schools.   Super close.

Bad things:  I cry every time I think of moving away from my friends.  But don't despair!  I will be exactly 30 minutes away, door to door.  A freshly made loaf of bread doesn't even have time to cool, in that short of a drive.  So friends, don't think you've gotten rid of me.  I plan on making my presence known...indefinitely!

7 comments:

Renny's little things said...

Congrats Guys. When you get there and get all your stuff in and where you want it will be your home and you will get that feeling I'm sure. You can always upgrade in a few years. 30 mins will turn into nothing and you'll be back and forward to your friends and lets face it if they are your ture friends they will be back and forth to you(not saying they arn't!!)
Good luck and stay well
Cheers Geniene

runningfan said...

I am thrilled for you. Stories like this restore my faith that someday, the perfect thing will work out for us, too.

Val said...

Wow, I am happy that all of that worked out so well for you.

Jeff and Lori said...

I'm sad not to see you or your cute kids at church any more, but I'm glad you're just moving 30 min away! Could be states away! So glad you found what you were looking for.

purejoy said...

sounds like a God-thing all around. can't wait to see photos and the progress as you go along. almost like having a brand new house! congrats on a great find! thank you, God!

I'm Always Rite said...

Totally meant to be! I am totally psyched for you guys! Thanks for sharing such a great story! It gives me hope that we might get back on the house-buying horse someday... someday. ;} In short... you guys totally rock and I am super happy for you! ;D

Sara said...

That's incredible! I'm so happy for you - you guys deserve it :)