Friday, October 22, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken

I made some amazing teriyaki chicken last night.  It was so moist and flavorful.  I paired it with my amazing fried rice (recipe found in my cookbook) and it was a great dinner.  I'm looking forward to having the leftovers for lunch!  The original recipe came from This Site, but here is how I made it.

Teriyaki Chicken

2/3 cup chicken broth
1 cup soy sauce
4 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ginger (you can use fresh ginger, if you have it)
1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 shakes of red pepper flakes
black pepper to taste

In a pot, combine everything.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.  Let cool for 10 minutes, then pour in a bowl, or a ziploc bag.  Add 2-3 pounds of chicken tenderloins.  Let marinate for 4 hours.

Separate the chicken from the marinade (reserving the marinade).  In a frying pan, add 2-3 Tbsp of oil.  In a single layer, cook chicken on both sides, until done (about 4-5 minutes on both side).   I cooked mine in two batches.  Now, you can either leave the tenderloins whole, or you can chop them up, which is what I did.

Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, bring your marinade to a boil for one minute.  Then, reduce heat to a simmer, and let it continue to softly boil for about 10 minutes.   (This allows all the raw chicken juices to be cooked away, making it safe to eat!)  Then, combine 1 Tbsp of corn starch with 2 Tbsp of cold water in a small bowl.  Add to marinade.  It should only take about a minute for your marinade to thicken up. Remove from heat.

Let everyone add their own amount of marinade (which is now the teriyaki sauce) over their chicken.  The more you add, the more salty your food is. I found that just a tablespoon of sauce was all I needed to go with my chicken, but it was very flavorful without the added sauce.  As an additional note, do not season your chicken with any salt, prior to marinading.  The teriyaki sauce has enough salt coming from the soy sauce.

If you have leftover teriyaki sauce, feel free to keep it in the fridge for a week or two, and you will be one step ahead of the game next time you make this!

6 comments:

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

Yum! I love Teryaki! I would use low sodium soy sauce next time to cut cack the salt taste. That's just me though.

Jen said...

looks yummy. we love teriyaki and are always looking for a good at home recipe. I will have to try this one.

COKE FAMILY said...

Looks yummy, can't wait to try this out!

runningfan said...

That sounds delicious!!

Colleen said...

Tasty, tasty! I l-o-v-e teriyaki. You have me craving it now!

runningfan said...

We're using this recipe tonight! Just put the marinade in the fridge. Garry came into the kitchen while I was cooking and was thrilled with the menu -- especially the fried rice! Thanks!