Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Almost Famous

In June, as The Husband and I were preparing ourselves to begin house hunting, I applied for a little known show on TLC called House Hunters.  Really, it's not so unknown.  It's a very popular show, one that my family and I have enjoyed for many years.  Even the kids love watching it, and picking out what house the people should buy.  "Pick the first one!"  "No, that has too small of a yard!  They will pick the third house!"

Then we get the episodes where we simply groan.  "Why on earth did you pick THAT house?"  Needless to say, we were very animated and opinionated, when watching the show.  So why WOULDN'T we want to be on it?  Fabulous.  Simply Fabulous.

So, I decided to check and see if the show was taking applications.  How fun would that be?

Wouldn't you know it, they were!  So I filled out a brief application, stating where I lived, when I was looking for a house, and the circumstances involved.  I told them how it was our first house, and we had begun our search last year, but had to stop looking because that was when we found out about our 5th baby's heart defects.  So, the hunt was put on hold for a year, and now, with Kimble having done so well post-op, we could begin our search again.

I hit submit, then went on Facebook, to tell all my friends "Just applied to be on House Hunters.  Wouldn't it be crazy if we were accepted?"  Then, I thought...oh, I should tell The Husband!  So I called him and told him what I had just done, and he chuckled and said "Ok".

Just a few hours later, I received an email back.  It went something like:  "We'd love to have you on the show!  Your story is great.  Here are about seven attachments, telling about the show and what you need to do to 'officially' apply."

I was floored.  Holy moly!  We were going to be on, like, the best show ever!

Upon reading through all the attachments, they film things a bit out of the ordinary, from what they present on tv.  Not to give all their secrets away, but the bottom line was, we needed to find a house first, before we could continue with the application process.  After a few more emails were exchanged, we settled down to find a house.

Our Realtor was also on board.  Since he would also be on tv, he would need to present an application video (as well as us), once things were official.  This was going to be great!!

Two months later...we finally found a house!  Yipee!  As soon as our offer was accepted, I went back to my email and wrote the House Hunters Lady, telling her that we had our offer!  She was happy for us, and wanted to know closing dates, and when we were moving out, when we were moving in, as well as a few other details...

I told her, and she replied back.  "Unfortunately, you are closing too close to Christmas, and we won't be shooting anymore for the season, at that time.  So sorry."

I was so sad!!!  I emailed her back and asked if we could shoot before the closing date, but that's not the way they do things.  If something were to happen (backing out of the contract) at closing, then they would have wasted all the time they spent filming.  Bottom line, we were almost famous.  No House Hunters for us.  Now, we are just another boring family buying a house.  What a bummer.

9 comments:

Julia said...

Oh Boo! I was getting so excited. I love that show. I'm like you and your family. I think they always choose the wrong house!!!! But, what do I know?

Maynards said...

Oh man! You were so close. You are famous in my book, does that count?

purejoy said...

wow. that is such a cool story anyway. and you're famous in my book! look, you have a blog!! it's international (surely someone from out of the country is a reader) and you have a super cute family.
i love that show. so weird that the family has already chosen the home. :(

Nancy W said...

WOW! I love that show and would have been totally excited to have spotted you on that show! boo on TLC for passing you up! hugs from Conroe, TX!

Mags said...

Awww, I like that show too. I also really like the International version. It is neat to see how other people live in other countries. Too bad about you guys not being on it.

Jen said...

what a bummer! Dave and I have been watching the show with completely different eyes now. It certainly changes your perception of the house hunt. Glad you found a house bummer you can't be on the show.

Colleen said...

Oh DARN! I was going to be semi-not-at-all-famous too as the behind the scenes camera woman for the application video! My dreams are dashed. Dang. But really, so sorry, Shaina. I was so excited for you guys to tell your story. It's a good one. :)

The Mitchells said...

Dang it! So close! My dad was "almost" gonna be on a cooking show....Would have been fun to watch you guys.

SarahB said...

How fun that would have been!