Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Officially A Milk Drinker


Mr. Kimble is weaned.  We went straight from breastfeeding, to cow's milk.  This was anticipated, but happened a bit sooner than I had planned.  Unfortunately, his razor-sharp teeth really prevented me from breastfeeding him any longer.  It's not that he would bite me, although a few times he did test the water, but when he nursed, the teeth rubbed in such a way, that it was just too painful.

So, I thought I would use up all of this frozen breastmilk, from all the time I spent pumping at the hospital...
Nope.  He wanted nothing to do with it.  I ended up wasting a lot of breastmilk, because Kimble wouldn't take it, and this basketful, in the bottom of my big freezer, is what's left.  I even tried spiking it with chocolate, to get him to drink it.  He pushed it away and refused to drink it.  What a bummer.

With breastfeeding quickly coming to a close, I was really worried that he wouldn't take anything.  When I first tried cow's milk, he refused that too, even when I spiked THAT with chocolate as well.  So, I tried honey.  A tiny drizzle of honey, mixed in with the milk, and slightly warmed...it was like magic.  Kimble gobbled it up greedily (as you can see in the first picture, with milk all over his face).

Just like that, he is weaned.

Although I am a bit sad, I know breastfeeding can't (and shouldn't!) go on forever.

Anyone want fifteen pounds of frozen breastmilk?

12 comments:

Mags said...

There might be a breast feeding group of some kind that would gladly take the donation. Just a thought, good luck and yeah for Kimble!

runningfan said...

I'm always sad when my babies are done nursing. Lexi quit cold-turkey at 15 months and I wasn't ready! But independence is good, too.

It's so hard to throw away breast milk! It's like liquid gold...

purejoy said...

weaning is a sad time for mommy. awww.
but i would agree with mags… there may be someone in your area that needs milk. contact your local la leche league or your children's hospital. (or mckmama at mycharmingkids.net because she raised a year's worth of milk for a little guy who lost his mommy just a week after he was born)
that's an impressive little storehouse!

lori parkhurst said...

You can donate it to the hospital! I know they would probably be able to use it!

Mary Kay said...

Here's a link to a milk bank in Denver. But I think the milk has to be less than 5 months old....
http://milkbankcolorado.org/?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=114

Jen Sue Wild said...

IT is a love hate thing for me when my babys are weand..

Congrats to Kimble and you!!
Now you officaly have your body back..

Jen said...

I was able to donate a ton of breast milk from Max to a family that adopted a baby girl. try contacting a local midwife or doula. That has worked for a friend out here too. I would totally take it If I lived closer. Hmmm then again maybe we could figure out a way to send it here.

Colleen said...

It is a sad, although necessary, time. I had a bunch of milk frozen when Luke weaned. Not as much as you, but we made his oatmeal with it every morning for a month.

Carroll Conversations said...

Hi again. I'm Heidi's friend from Oregon. I'm also very sad when I have to wean my babies. I just weaned my baby. It's been a little over 1 week and it's still a bit emotional for me. I do have a friend out here who is having a baby in December and asked me a while back if I could start saving my milk for her (sounds strange I know), but it's a big deal to her. I didn't end up having any extra milk to store for her. If you don't have any takers there locally, would you consider arranging (I'm sure she'd pay the shipping) to have it sent here. After I lost my 4th baby, I pumped and shipped my milk to a mother's milk bank. I just had to include dry ice, but it shipped beautifully and arrived still frozen. Let me know. Definitely don't throw it out, it's liquid gold I tell ya.

Elise said...

Your freezer looks so familiar. Have you tried using half breastmilk and half cow's milk in his bottles? When Matt was sick, I had almost 4 months worth of milk stored, I made his bottles half and half with formula. Used up all my milk. But you may want to check to make sure the milk doesn't expire. I thought you could only freeze milk for 6 months but not sure.

dippyrooroo said...

I saw a tv show a while back where breast milk was unknowingly used in a soup instead of cows milk, and It was the secret ingredient that suddenly made her soup magicly delish! Maybe you should cook with it! ;)

leanne said...

Definitely donate that if you still have it! I've been the recipient of a donating mommy and it's the most beautiful gift someone could have ever given my daughter and I!

If you need information on donating go to milkshare.com