Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Snowed In

We arrived in Idaho just before a big storm hit.  Over the next few days, roads and freeways and stores and schools were closed as the storm turned every surface to ice.   Everyone was told to go home and stay there.  Travelers on the interstate were told to "stay put".  In essence, Thanksgiving Day plans changed drastically, due to the weather. 

Luckily, five of my siblings and their families were cozied up and safe, divided between two houses, about 10 miles apart from each other.  However, we still had three families that we were expecting to come down from Washington.  They had to cancel their trip. One more family was coming up from Utah.  They just barely made it.

So, after days of being cooped up in the house, we decided to venture off to let the kids burn off some energy in a nearby school gym (one of my brother-in-laws is a teacher there).  As we loaded up the kids in our vans, passing through the the frigid below-zero stormy conditions, one of my sisters (Courtney) stood at the road and directed all of us to safely navigate through her snowy driveway, and onto the country road just outside her house.  That is when I took this picture.

Hope all of you have had safe travels!  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

DougandSheilah said...

Wow! You guys be safe. Another huge snow dumper is suppose to hit here Thursday night and into Friday not stopping until Sunday.

Candace said...

I would love to experience a storm like that just one time. I live in south GA and it's going to be in the 70's today. :) My dream vacation is to go shopping for 2-3 days with an unlimited amount of cash. Buy all the pretty little things my heart desires and get snowed in a log cabin with a fire place. Scrap and bake my little heart out until I can't scrap, bake, eat, drink hot beverages, read, watch tv and be lazy until I can't possibly do that anymore! silly i know... lol :) Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Trinette McCrary said...

Crazy! We heard about the storm, part of me wishes we got it. No fun for those that are trying to make it to family.

Colleen said...

Awesome! That looks cold!

Jeff and Lori said...

Glad you made it safe. We didn't get to go to Idaho as expected, due to the crazy weather. Awesome picture!
Brrr.

Heath said...

I still felt like Southern Idaho was trying kill me. As soon as I stepped out of the van the wind and snow hit me and I felt like I was back at Ricks trying to make it to class along with the other poor souls not knowing if a freezing gust was going to be so cold that it would kill you instantly.
It was however very good to see family again.