Thursday, January 20, 2011

5 minutes

Last night, I went to the gym.  It's been a long time since I have gone to a gym.  I've never been the type of person who had a gym membership.  It always seemed a waste of money to me.  It was something that I could never really understand.

However, I was always impressed with those people, my friends who worked out.  They actually enjoyed it.  That baffled me.  They desired the gym. They needed their workouts.  They talked about it with such positivity.  Incredible.

So last night, I signed up for a free trial  week.  If I want to join after that, it will be 20 bucks a month (thanks to The Husband's union benefits) and I can go as much as I want, and do whatever classes I want.  I think that's a pretty good deal.

My first experience at the gym:  Zumba class.  The gym was filled with women (and a few men) of all ages, doing Zumba for 45 minutes.  It was fun, although hard to see the instructor through the sea of people.  Obviously it's a popular class.  I think I'll like it better the more I get used to the movements.

Next: Weights.  I went with a new friend, and we are going to motivate and encourage each other.  She showed me some different machines to use, and last night we focused on shoulders and arms.  All good.

Throughout the evening, I kept eyeing the treadmills.  People actually like running.  Again, this astounds me. I've never been a runner, and never want to run, and probably couldn't run if it saved my life.  Is there a big secret that everyone knows but me?  Running. Running. Running.

I took the opportunity.  I got on a treadmill and bumped up the speed until I was at a manageable jogging  speed.  I was doing it.  I was running!

I haven't ran since my first year of college.   Thus, I did not have my expectations too high.  I decided that I would run for five minutes.  Five Minutes!  You know what, for someone who couldn't even run around the block without stopping, I thought five minutes was very ambitious.

Miracle of all miracles, I lasted the whole five minutes!  I didn't stop.  I didn't slow down.  I ran for five minutes!  It may seem silly, but I was happy.  I felt accomplished.

I came home, and told The Husband, with excitement bursting through me, to guess how long I ran for.  He could see that I  was proud of myself, and guessed 30 minutes.

My bubble broke.

It was just five minutes.  Hardly any time at all.  Five stupid minutes.  What was I so excited about?

But you know what?  I'm still proud of myself.  I'm proud that I didn't quit after one minute.  I'm proud that I got on it in the first place.  I'm proud that I'm actually going to the gym.  If five minutes is what it takes, to become, in essence, my baby step....then five minutes it is.

The Husband was actually very proud of me, and my decision to make myself  healthier.  I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm hoping each time I go to the gym, it will get easier, and more rewarding.

10 comments:

The Girls' Mom said...

HAHA I hate running too. ( Cross Country ruined it for me.)I always just walk fast. Ive been trying couch to 5k and it actually got me running on the first day and I must say it wasn't too bad. Good luck!! Im glad you said there are some men in Zumba- Garin's dad has been doing it, I was worried he was the only one :)

runningfan said...

good for you!

Jennifer Magreevy said...

I'm jealous you ran for 5 minutes!!! I think I could run for about 30 seconds. So kudos to you! Men just don't know, their ability to do anything involving the "guessing game" is always off. Its only good to let them guess your weight, they always guess under. :)

Nicki said...

HEY! Way to go with the 5 minute run. I remember very well trying to get you to run with me. That's a great accomplishment. Also, love your hair with the straight-iron curl. I think you look fantastic. How was that Zumba class--I've heard they are a lot of fun.

Burns Family said...

Hurray for 5 minutes. I started going to the gym a year ago, but I find it a lonely place. I think I need someone to go with. I still only walk on the treadmill. I envision my self running and than falling off the back. Just haven't gotten the nerve to try. So huge good job to you. Reading your blog is kicking me in the pants to get back there!

Jen said...

When I tell people I started running 3 months ago they look at me funny like "I would never take you for a runner" Truth is I never was. I started at 5 minutes. Now I am very slow about a 11.5 minute mile but I am slowly getting fast and after 3 months I can consistently do 2-3 miles. Just take it slow, listen to your body and you can do it. Make sure to work on some muscle strength at the same time so you don't get a weird gait and hurt yourself. But way to go. Very proud of you. 5 minutes is nothing to sneeze at.

Ande said...

you can do it!!!! I lost 30 lbs last year, it was amazing, I am still trying to lose more, but for now I am happy where I am. :) Just keep going and have fun with it!!

kdaygirl said...

Na I have a ipod ap that is called "couch to 5k" it starts you running for a minute and then goes all they way up to 30 by the end of the 8 weeks, its great and Kara and I have been doing it. You should go check it out. 8 weeks ago I was running for just one minuete and now I can run for 25 without stopping!

Maynards said...

5 minutes is a huge deal Shaina! My first time back on the treadmill after I have my babies, I aim for 5 minutes without stopping. I usually can't do it. Truly. I eventuall get to 5 minutes running, 3 minutes walking, 5 min. running, 3 min. walking, ect. and then it just goes from there. You should be VERY proud of yourself. In running world, 5 minutes is a long time.
Let me just warn you, running is contagious, in a very weird way. No one understands, unless they are runners themselves.
Be prepared my friend.
Welcome to the club.

Maynards said...

p.s. If you hate Zumba, don't worry, I can't stand it. Too much pelvic thrusting, gym barbies, and make up, for my taste.