Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hair Prowess

I dream of having long and luscious locks, with big fat curls caressing each other in waves of softness.  But that is just a dream.  A dream I'm trying to make a reality.  Thus, I'm growing out my hair, in hopes that the god of hair smiles his conditioning power upon me.

Until then, I get to endure the dreaded "in-between" stage.  The time when hair is at a length which makes cute styling almost impossible.  It looks awkward pulled back (especially because I still have big chunks of baby hair making a comeback since the stressful time in the hospital when I had Kimble), and it looks blah when it's down.  What's a girl to do?

Improvise.

I've been using my hair straightener to curl my hair.  That's right.  You read it correctly.  It does an amazing job at curling, and is surprising proficient at maintaining that "long lasting curl".

The only thing wrong with that, was suggested by The Husband today at church.  He leans over, and says "I think you burned your hair."

So maybe such a device wouldn't be endorsed by my hair stylist, but for now, it's helping me get through this stage with my hair.  What do you think?

15 comments:

Pam said...

I love it and think it looks great like this. Love the color too.

Dan and Katie said...

Beautiful! And I made your teryaki chicken or however you spell it...it was really salty - then I realized DANG IT - I forgot the sugar...grrrr..I can't imagine how good it is going to be next time :)

Jeff and Lori said...

Shaina, your hair is never "blah". You can't convince me otherwise. Lookin' good!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Your hair looks cute. You need to use a heat protecter on your hair befor you curl it TRESemm'e makes a good one. I never new a straitner could be used for curling untill 3 years a go when my stylest curled my hair with one. It works great to flip your hair too.
I have been doing the same thing while growing my hair out, curling it has made all the diffrents. I havent wanted to chop it off yet!

courtney said...

Very cute! And when the urge hits to cut it, just putting a different color in my hair seems to remedy that urge and I get over the cutting hump! I too am growing mine out we we can have a competition and the person who cuts thiers first has to pay the other. Of course, trimming is acceptable!

Jen said...

Looks great. The woman who cuts my hair curls it with the straightner. I love how it turns out. Last time she showed me how. It's still a work in progress for me. I am always afraid of burning my hair :)

Valerie said...

I love it! I too, wish I could have long lucious locks! But it makes my face look too long. Yours looks fabulous!!

Megan said...

I think it looks cute. I dream of having long, curly locks and although I have fairly long hair now I don't have the time pretty much ever to curl. I do from time to time use my straightener to do it. Bec introduced me to that 3 yrs ago I think. She does it often.

You do HAVE to use a flat iron spray to protect your hair from burning. The one I have right now is CHI but I have had quite a few others. It will keep the hair from being so damaged that you can't grow it out!

Maynards said...

Your hair always looks great, I don't know what you are talking about! You have awesome color.
I have been growing mine out for two years now, and FINALLY got it to the long length that I like. Hopefully your hair will grow at a much faster pace, and I am sure it will look great.

purejoy said...

i can imagine it takes a while to do this… girl… you have a ton of hair!
but it's oh-so-cute!
in between?? HARDLY!! super cute!

shaina said...

It actually takes less than five minutes for me to curl my hair like this. It's faster, and stays longer, than my curling iron!

Colleen said...

It's fantastic and so COMPLETELY not in a bad phase, even though it may feel like it. And I have baby hairs too, and they drive me bonkers!

Jed and Kera said...

I'm in that stage too! I'm a stylist and we were taught that technique in school. You are fine to do it that way, you're not damaging it anymore than with a curling iron or straightening your hair. Like someone Jen said above use protector on it. Also, try running it through a little quicker, that could help with the burnt smell. :O)

Queen of Chaos said...

It's cute . :)

You used to grow your hair out long and beautiful. Why not now? It would look really cute all curled and long. Your lucious hair can still be a possibility. I think so, anyway.

Renny's little things said...

you always look good.. No matter what