Friday, March 18, 2011

A Boy's Bag

Last week I made these two messenger bags for Keaton and Kolby.  I found some material for $1.50/yard at Walmart (our local store still sells fabric) and thought it would be perfect to use, following This Tutorial.


In addition to the very easy instructions, I made a few adjustments to the bag, namely lining it with the same material I used to make the bias tape (yes!  I made my own bias tape and LOVED it.  So easy. There is a link, on the tutorial, for how to make bias tape, if you want to do that.) and I also added a few pockets on the inside of the bag.


I thought that using the main material, which looks like what you would use to make some boys' dress pants, would make it nice and manly, but The Husband disagrees. He says these bags look like a mini diaper bag.  He thinks they are girly, and although I disagree with him on that point, I slightly agree that maybe I should have chosen a grungy khaki material instead.

At any rate, I think the bag is great, and the boys think it's great too.  They can take it to the library and fill it with books to check out; they can take it on a roadtrip and fill it with their special  toys; they can take it on a hike and fill it with water bottles and trail mix.

I think I'll make some for the girls, and then everyone can have their own bag, this summer, to take on all of our adventures.

8 comments:

runningfan said...

You're a very talented girl!

kdaygirl said...

I am gonna have to side with Heath on this one, while so very cool, they do look a little on the feminine side.
Maybe some camo material or a pattern with boy stuff on it? Spderman, transformers?

Sharon said...

I think they turned out so cute! The boys look like they love them, I bet the girl ones will be cute!

Heath said...

Its just the trim that I think looks girly. If it was a darker solid color like OD green or navy blue it would look better. The main fabric is awesome and I love the accented grommets those look pretty neat. I think the use of some depressed khaki (think military map bag) with frayed edges with a inside trim of navy blue or OD green would look really cool. I'm just afraid they might be made fun of by other kids.

Lauren said...

-sigh- There goes the witty comment I was going to say, Heath. "What does he know? He is just a man?" :) Honestly I can't fault Heath for that because really, what parent doesn't worry about situations like that. I think the bags are cute and I am thinking about making some for my boys, but I was thinking more of material with flames, cars and or dinosaurs. Eeeks stereotypical much? :)

Ande said...

I think they are cute and different from the normal khaki look. I love it.

kdaygirl said...

Did Heath really use the word "Grommet"?

LOL I Love it!

Stacey said...

I love those! Thanks for the link...I want to make one for my son now!~